Family Comes First [Part 1]

Samaar's POV

It was a Friday morning and sure enough I knew Sheath was working today even without knowing his full work schedule. I looked at my phone wondering why I don't use it as much as I should. Right then, my phone began vibrating like no tomorrow. When I reached out to grab my phone with my eyes closed, I fingered the whole desk beside my bed to realize my phone was under my pillow. I forcefully opened my eyes against my will and annoyance. Who would call me at nine o'clock in the morning when everyone knows I'm not a morning person? The vibration on my phone continued and I felt as if I was holding a fish...

"It's been buzzing for an hour. Aren't you going to pick it up?" Aakifah asked, as she dried her hair with a mint green towel. 

"Really? I just woke up... " I said, trying not to explode. It was Sheath. But I didn't want to look at the message for some reason. I still had a hard time believing what he felt about me. I'm not saying it's a lie, but I guess I needed time to clear my head. 

"Come on! Get up! We have to leave today, remember?" Aakifah said as she put some cream on her face. She took out the eyeliner out of her purse, but then put it back right in. We were attending a family event tonight at Ruhi's house. Our parents and Sarah were staying there for the time being. For the full week, ever since Aakifah was taken to the hospital, they kept pestering us to just come home already. I held them off for as long as I could and so did Aakifah but it's effortless. "You're wearing the new maroon abaya we brought with dad a year ago, right?" She asked me. Maroon abaya? Do we even have one that color? Our dad always buys us abaya's since it's basically the only clothing we wore. But ever since he lost his job, it was amazing if we got him to buy us a simple skirt. We began saving like crazy. Although our depression (as I call it) only lasted about two years, we simply forgot all about money and everything.

"Here, I'll get it out for you." She said walking up to the closet. She brought out two Abayas in her hand, and that's when I remembered the maroon Abaya my dad bought me. How could I forget? I literally spent a year begging him to buy me it and right after graduation he took me to the store and made me pick one out for me and Aakifah. The Abaya was really fancy... in an elegant way. I mean, all I have are plain black Abayas and I love the simplicity and the colour. It had a gold band with a studded diamond in the middle. The Abaya was arranged in such a way that whoever wore it could be a model.  

 "Do you know when mom and dad are leaving?" I asked, trying to get out of bed. I tied my hair in a pony tail and started folding my blanket. 

"I guess this week... They said someone important was coming and I had to make sure we were both presentable. I wonder who it is..." As do I, as do I.

"That's weird." I looked over to my phone and it finally stopped buzzing. I was startled by Aakifah's push. She started pushing me into the bathroom and telling me to get ready. 

"Hurry up, you have to do my makeup and I have to do yours."

"Okay, okay! What's the rush?" I asked, annoyed. Ugh, makeup? Why? I asked myself. Whenever we did each others makeup it would be better than doing it ourselves for some reason. Aakifah and me didn't really know much about it. But we did watch about a couple of tutorials on YouTube. 

"We have to leave to get stuff from the mall first. So before we go to Ruhi's house, we have to go get Sarah some nice clothes for tonight." She replied.

"Are we taking Sarah too?" I asked, getting excited. She nodded. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When we arrived at the mall with Sarah, we big sister's did a lot of research. In the end I dressed casually because I didn't want to walk around the mall in something so fancy... Aakifah also did the same. But she did iron both of them before we left. Sarah was as chubby as ever, and active too. She'd wobbled off when we unconciously let her hand go. She was about to turn three soon, which means we would finally be able to throw the Barbie stroller of hers away. Not to be rude and inconsiderate, but Barbie... was just not my thing. Especially when I would sleep with Sarah last year, I would always be haunted with the Barbie doll in her hand. It was also clear that her favorite colour was pink- every little girl's favorite colour. Again, not to be rude but I thought Sarah was a little unique but no! She's just one of the million girls who are waiting for their prince charming.