Grieving Like We Should Have

((Author's Note: hey guys. sorry for the mini hiatus. anyway, without giving away the plot to this story, i'll tell you- this chapter is exactly what it sounds like. anyway. thank you all so much for the support, it means a lot. please enjoy.))

There was arguing. Voting.

"No, we shouldn't. We're not assassins."

"He's been alive longer than any of us. He's not human. That's scary."

"To big brother, he is someone important! Isn't he a father?!"

Sulking off, thinking there was no choice.

I have to be responsible. I'm the oldest.

Seeing him one last time. A cold smile on his lips. He knew, all along, this is what it would come to.

His blood was everywhere.

Screaming filled the air. Sobs. Begging for forgiveness, to the darkest night. To someone who couldn't hear anymore. To siblings who would refuse to admit this happened, or to siblings who would spend centuries filled with despair and loathing for this night.

Kuro opened their eyes to darkness. They blinked slowly, sitting up. They glanced down.

Mahiru Shirota, their Eve and boyfriend, was sleeping soundly, curled up beside Sakuya Watanaki, a subclass and Mahiru's other boyfriend.

Kuro sighed heavily and curled up, their back to the couple.

It hadn't been that long since Sakuya had come in, demanding to know Kuro's real feelings for the Japanese student. Probably less than a couple weeks. Sakuya made it obvious he only cared for Mahiru, which was fine by Kuro- Kuro still had many misgivings as far as the subclass was concerned.

No matter how many times anyone said they forgave Kuro for That Night, Kuro would never forgive themself. They sighed, staring at the wall.

Mahiru stirred and sat up, "Hn? Kuro? You awake?"

Kuro stayed quiet, being careful to keep their breathing very light.

Mahiru frowned, "Kuro. I know you're up."

Just leave me alone, they thought.

"You had a nightmare, didn't you?" Mahiru pressed for a conversation.

Kuro sighed loudly and rolled over, "It's nothing."

"C'mon. Get your skinny ass in bed." Mahiru glared. Kuro struggled to sit up, sighing loudly and trudging over.

"What a pain."

"Don't you 'what a pain' me." Mahiru scowled. He wrapped his arms around the vampire and pulled him close. Kuro became very still. "You can tell me, remember? You too, can call my name."

Kuro mumbled an incoherent response, falling asleep quickly. Mahiru sighed, smiled tiredly and rubbed the vampire's soft blue hair. He frowned and leaned closer, sniffing his hair. He sighed and shook the vampire awake.

"Mahiru..." Kuro groaned.

"Your hair dye is fading." Mahiru whispered. Kuro peeled an eye open, groaning again.

"We'll buy me some more in the morning. Now shhh. Go back to sleep." Kuro pulled Mahiru close and purred in his ear. Mahiru blushed and giggled quietly, snuggling up to the NEET.