1. Kidnapped

• Dedicated to Rochelle Logue

I was your average secondary school loner...I had a few friends but I hardly ever spoke to anyone. I had been bullied at a few different schools so I figured why let anyone have a chance to be mean? I was quite sporty - I had my horse riding and archery every week and my soccer training 3 times per week (minimum). I had wanted to start MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) but I never had enough of a reason to find time to do it.

With my parents living in England, while I was helping my grandparents and living alone (with the exception of my dog) I felt I needed a reason to do things. I had always done my horse riding, my archery was to help improve my aim and soccer was to keep me fit.

It was time for the February mid-term break...oh joy. Please note my oh-so-enthusiastic sarcasm.

I was jogging home from school because I couldn't be bothered to wait 40 minutes in the freezing cold for my school bus, especially on the last day of school. I had my music on and I was going at a nice, steady pace when a black van pulled up alongside me and rolled the window down. I ignored the men inside, hoping they would get the not-so-subtle hint that I didn't want to talk and I definitely didn't want a ride or anything else they could possibly slow down alongside me for. Unfortunately, my hint wasn't blatant enough.

One of the guys stuck his fat head out of the window and started trying to make conversation, which I blatantly ignored. I mean, how much clearer and ruder could I have been? One of his friends then decided to shove his head out too and try to talk to me. I know I didn't know these guys but from the look of them, there were about 6 guys that looked to be between 30 and 45. None of them were even remotely cute! Finally the last and youngest stuck his head out and gave me those irresistible puppy-dog eyes. UGH! Every guy knows that you can't completely say no to the puppy-dog eyes! It's practically impossible!

Anyway, I slowed down and faced the van, doing side-step when the guy asked me "Why are you ignoring us, chick? We only wanted to offer you a ride." I just shrugged and replied "I'm not in the mood for being polite and I fancied a run instead of being stuck on a bus full of smokers and idiots. I'm not that far from home and I was enjoying my run before I was so rudely interrupted by a load of egotistical jerks. Thanks but no thanks," and with that, I started running again.

They continued at a painstakingly slow pace beside me before they pulled over in front of me, effectively blocking the road and the back doors flew open. What looked like the oldest guy jumped out but I tried to swerve around him and the van as I sped up the deserted back road. He was still trying to catch up as I ended up in a flat-out sprint. Unfortunately, my school bag and boot bag were weighing me down slightly. The guy caught up easily as I took a bend in the road and I truly started panicking. Unfortunately, the deserted back road was a short-cut, so there was no other traffic or even any houses. And here I was, thinking I was being smart! The guy wrapped a strong, muscular arm around my waist and put a handkerchief over my mouth. I started thrashing frantically but it was no use. The guy leaned his mouth towards my ear and tried to use a soothing voice...he failed dismally. Instead he just sound like the creep he was. He whispered "Hush. Just breathe in this nice chloroform. There's a good girl." Talk about patronizing! That was the last thing I heard before I slumped into unconsciousness in his heavily tattooed arms.