Chapter Four ☆ Clash of Gems

Since returning to the Temple, Steven had gotten worse. He was sad to say goodbye to his dad, and now with all the gems around it was hard to keep his temper.

"I just don't feel like going out today," Steven rolled his eyes as he watched TV.

Pearl was in the middle of expressing her growing concerns. "You haven't left the Temple in 4 days!"

He shrugged. "So?"

"So I was thinking I should invite Connie over?" she twiddled her foot and held her hands behind her back.

"No thanks."

"That's it," Garnet's voice came out of nowhere. "I don't like where this is heading."

She must have been hiding downstairs, eavesdropping. She stormed up the stairs. Hands on hips as she got to the top. Pearl was just as confused as Steven.

He turned, pulling a face.

Garnet stomped over. She picked Steven up with ease. His small body being one of the lightest things she'd had to carry.

"What are you doing?!" Steven tried to fight her off, pushing himself away.

But she wouldn't let go; she only gripped tighter. Garnet stormed down the stairs, Pearl following closely behind, begging her to put Steven down.

But she didn't listen to either of them.

"Garnet! Let me go!" he pulled as they got closer to the door.

Garnet rolled her eyes and walked outside. The beach was her destination.

Steven sucked the fresh air into his lungs, stubbornly embracing it.

She dropped him on the sand. He scrambled to his feet, backing away from her. He didn't want to be picked up again.

"What was that for?" he yelled at Garnet and glared at Pearl.

"I've seen what path you're going down," Garnet tried to sound calm but her face betrayed her. "And I won't let go any further."

"Garnet what are you-"

Steven shouted over Pearl, "I can't help it! I've tried okay? I can't stop the nightmares! I'm tired! And all I want to do is go to sleep, but every time I close my eyes, you kill me!"

He needed some time alone. He spun on his heels and stormed away.

"Steven!" the gems shouted, begging him to come back.

"Leave me alone!" he yelled back, his chubby fist wiped his eyes.

Pearl grabbed Garnet's wrist. Steven got smaller as he walked further down the beach. She wanted to know exactly what Garnet had seen.

"Maybe it would be better to give him some space," Pearl said.

Garnet nodded. She should've stepped in sooner.

☆☆☆