Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

"...I'll kill your boys...and your fairy...and I'll burn this godforsaken island until it's nothing but ash and bones..." The memory of Jude's words rang so loud in Peter's mind, it was like they were being whispered into his ears.

Over and over they repeated as Peter, Kaytee, and the Lost Boys frantically helped put out the fire that was slowly consuming Pixie Hollow. Though they didn't have their shovels any more, they dug their hands into the dirt and piled it onto the flames, dousing them in the only element nearby that would help. Water fairies were already exhausting themselves as they drenched the tops of the trees, Peter helping as much as he could, letting them rest on his shoulders and arms as they worked.

Tinker Bell eventually spotted them and quickly flew to Peter's side, panicked and angry, "Glad you finally made it."

Not taking her fury personally, he shook his head, "Sorry, we were tied up elsewhere. What started the fire?" he asked, as if he didn't already know. As if he hadn't known for a long time that something was wrong. As if he hadn't been too blind to notice.

"No, we had all just settled in for the night. We woke up to everything burning." her voice cracked, her wings fluttering brokenly with fatigue. Peter nodded towards an open inch on his shoulder and she gratefully sank down onto it, exhausted. "I don't know what could've triggered it... we don't use fire in Pixie Hollow."

"Who," Peter corrected her, eyes on the soot covered branches the flames left, moving over to new flames for the fairies to douse, "who triggered it."

Her tiny brow scrunched and her wings fluttered once in agitation, "Who? You think someone... attacked Pixie Hollow?"

Peter was silent for a moment, worrying the inside of his cheek again, drawing blood from the sore spot, "Before we smelled the smoke, we were on our way home from a rather horrible hunting trip." And he went on to explain in brief detail the events of the day, starting with finding no animals in their hunt in the early morning. When he finally recounted the whole story, Tink was silent, contemplating his words. He continued on, "I don't think someone attacked Pixie Hollow. I think someone is trying to destroy Neverland. And I think you and I know exactly who that is."

Tinker shook her head, "Jude could never get off that island. It's impossible, it can't be done, not without fairy dust or-"

"A ship." Peter whispered knowingly, gravely, finally, "A pirate ship."

>>>>>>>>>>+<<<<<<<<<<

When a team of Indians showed up with great buckets of water and sacks of sand to help put out the fire , Peter slipped away to visit the mermaids. He whispered his intentions into Kaytee's ear, trying to both be quiet and yet still heard over the chorus of roaring flames and general pandemonium. Her brows puckered, about to protest, but he slipped away with only a kiss to her cheek, blending into the dancing shadows and dark forest.

He flew fast, silently, a hummingbird on the breeze. Away from the smoke, the two moons rose high and proud in the sky, and he kept to the dark shadows cast by the trees. Stealth was the utmost importance when a dangerous enemy ran free in the jungle, unknown, undetected, wreaking havoc wherever they went.

Maybe going to the mermaids was an unnecessary risk, but Peter needed it confirmed. He needed his suspicions validated. Too much was at stake for him to face an enemy without knowing if his fears were true. If he, Peter's ultimate foe, had returned.

But surely, it was impossible. The dead cannot rise again, even with the magic that surrounded and pulsed through Neverland, the magic that surged through him. Even the Healing Fairies of Pixie Hollow knew this rule was bound true by the laws of nature. Logic knew it, science knew it, nature knew it: dead stayed dead.