Gunpowder

A group of girl were gathered together. None of them looked at all nervous, but Harley felt as if all the butterflies in her stomach were having heart attacks. She had no doubt that they hadn't picked her arbitrarily. This was bad. This was horrible. They knew who she really was. However, they wanted to talk to Natasha as well. She guessed that if they caught Natasha too, she would only half-fail. Maybe? She had no idea what was going to happen in the next five minutes, but she had a feeling that it wasn't going to be good.

"Hello, ladies," said an older woman in the middle of the crowd. "I'm sorry to interrupt your conversations, but this is very important. Our company has been making changes to how we do things around here, and safety is one of them. There's no need to worry about it. This is totally randomized, and I have no doubt that you'll pass with flying colors. You never know, though." Harley's stomach dropped as she received a look from her.

"Oh! I forgot to introduce myself. I'm Beatrix. I'm head of the competition. If ya'll have any questions about anything, you can just ask me. I'm sure that you'll see me around. Okay! Let's get this test out of the way. Follow me." The girls all filed in line as they followed Beatrix into a separate room. Harley could feel her heartbeat throughout her entire body as she slowly fell in line.

"We've already started swabbing down a bunch of your stuff, and now we're going to see if any of you have traces of gunpowder on your hands." Harley let out a breath. She hadn't placed her hand on a gun since the day with the wrecked purple lamborghini. If there weren't any other tests, she would be perfectly fine.

"Are you nervous?" Natasha asked her.

"Well, I was, but then I was like, 'But I don't even have any guns or use them, so why should I be worried?'"

"I know. I've never touched a gun in my life. All they are are killing machines. They should outlaw them all together. There is never a time when using a gun is appropriate."

Like shooting at the roof of the car. If she ever got that lamborghini back, she would have to repair that roof. She didn't even know how to fix it. That would cost money, and she didn't want to spend money on the roof of their car.

For some reason, she didn't think that was what Natasha meant.

***

Clean. Every single one of those tests came back clean. Everything they swabbed came back clean. No one had touched any IEDs. Harley couldn't have cared less. Once she realized that the only things they were testing for was guns and bombs, she stopped caring. Who would be stupid enough to think that you could sneak a bomb into a place like that? There were some pretty stupid people in that competition, but it was more of a naive stupid than a stupid stupid. That was beside the point, though.

The actual contest was starting tommorow. She was nervous, so extremely nervous that it took over all her thoughts. She shouldn't have been that nervous. She had done so many dangerous and terrifying things that her heart should have been stone cold. Her unbreakable heart was one of her best qualities, and now it had just left her. She felt fear for the first time since she was a child; she thought about how popular she was for the very first time. What was happening to her scared her. She didn't know what was going on in her head. Then it hit her.

She was becoming normal.

She didn't want to be normal.

The thought made her want to cry. She had never cried, either.

Her insanity was leaving her.

That was the scariest thought of all.