Chapter 10: The Best Friend, The Bad Guy And The Heist.

Start from the beginning

"Why are you still here?" I asked, completely befuddled.

He hesitated.

"This isn't me." He said in a monotone voice. "I didn't do this."

A large screen projected onto a nearby wall, covering the entire space.

A figure wore the mask I recognized from none other than the movie 'V for Vendetta'.

"Are you sure this isn't you?" I asked, a little panicked now.

"It's not, I was going to trigger the fire alarm."

The whole room was buzzing with panicked murmuring and a few small cries of fear while TerraStorm and I stared at the screen in silence.

"Hello, my wonderful donators." The distorted voice pierced through the underlying murmuring and sparked a new wave of panicked shrieks.

"I know you are probably wondering why I have come to interrupt your very charitable event, please accept my sincere apologies. I would be incredibly grateful if you could all spare a moment to hear what I have to say."

The voice, while distorted, was clearly very calm and each word said was pronounced with an underlying growl and an almost undetectable tone of sarcasm. I couldn't help but compare it to the Jokers voice from the original cartoons.

"Mayor Fitzwater, I have come to understand you have a vault hidden in your basement. In fact, I am down there right now."

The screen went black for a moment, drowning the room in 2 seconds of complete shocked silence.

It returned with 3 masked man holding large machine guns outside of a vault the height of, well, me.

I looked around, panicked. I eyed the drink table... Jazmine wasn't there.

"We would like to do this... ethically." The distorted voice continued. "So, we are going to kindly ask you, the Mayor, to give us the code so we can take, well, whatever our heart desires."

Everyone's eyes were either on the Mayor, who was standing cowardly behind his bikini model wife, or on the screen.

"If you don't agree to our terms, well, this little lady is going to suffer the consequences of your actions."

My breath hitched in my throat as soon as I heard the muffled screams of my best friend.

One masked man kept his gloved hand over her mouth while her eyes remained wide and panicked.

"Jazmine." My voice came out raspy and weak. My knees felt like jelly all of a sudden and my hands became clammy. In the corner of my eye I saw TerraStorm turn his head to face me.

"You know her?" He asked, his deep, grey eyes as wide as mine.

"I know her... very well." I started whipping my head around, my heart beat racing and my breathing quickened.

I didn't know what to do. I wasn't prepared.

"Red! Red! It's okay, we will find her." He rested his hands on my shoulders, preventing me from desperately looking around in panic.

"I don't want your help." I said plainly. "I'll find her by myself."

With that, I shrugged off his grip and bolted through the crowds of people, who stood like horrified mannequins.

Why weren't they doing something?

Rushing to the back of the room, I looked desperately around, looking for some sort of staircase that lead down to the basement. I couldn't see any.

Several large pillars that supported the ascending staircases made the area underneath shadowed completely.

I ran towards it, immediately noticing the closed double doors that lead underneath one of the staircases. I tried pulling the handle bars before realizing it was jammed shut with crowbar. At least I knew where to go.

I peered behind me, hoping no one was watching, then focusing hard on the object with my mind, I snapped it in half.

I had to do as much as possible without using Telk, it was easy to get drained when something required more energy than usual.

A dark, gloomy staircase met me as soon as I opened the doors. Immediately, I yanked off my pair of black pumps and dropped them behind me as I raced down the stairs.

That's when the voices started getting clearer.

"So, Mayor, what will it be? Just speak it aloud, I'll be able to hear you. I have microphones set up all around your home."

I had to give it to the guy, he was prepared... in a very creepy way.

There was a loud commotion now and more footsteps could be heard running around.

I peered my head around the corner and spotted the same masked men that were shown on the screen.

Jazmine stood with her mouth still covered and anger erupted inside of me.

Peering around again, I got a better look at the scene. Thinking fast really wasn't my forte, even when lives were at risk.

I gestured with my hand, co-ordinating exactly where and how I wanted to use my powers. Then, with a quick twist of my hand, the bullets in each gun, including the one pressed against Jazmine's head, fell out of the back, dropping like metallic raindrops onto the floor.

With one quick eruption of anger, I stepped out from hiding spot and, slamming my hand forwards, sent all five men crashing against the furthest wall, Jazmine not included.

She dropped onto her hands and knees, spluttering.

I ran over, an aching, burning sensation in all joints.

"Jazmine! Are you okay?"

Instead of saying anything, she wrapped her arms around my neck and kept me in a long embrace.

"Thank you... thank you."

"Don't."

She remained quiet, keeping her arms tied desperately around my neck

"Accept the damn gratitude." She said, flatly." She pulled away after a while of relishing in the fact that neither of us were dead.

She smiled at me, her eyes stained with tears. I started to get up, my joints aching like I had just been on a ten hour hike up a mountain.

Before I could get on my feet, I was back in the ground, a hot, seething pain at the back of my head.

That was all I could remember before everything went black.

<><><><><><>

A/N:

Early update!!!!! I hope you guys enjoyed reading this chapter as much as I did writing it!

This chapter is dedicated to purplex14 for their witty comments and amazing support with all my books. You are the real MVP 😂

Anyway, don't forget to fill in that little empty star in the corner if you enjoyed this chapter! If you have any suspicions or predictions about what will happen next, I would love to hear them!

~SkyHunterXoX