Chapter Eighteen.

Luhan POV

                It was impossible for me to sleep.  She lay here in my arms, breathing ever so gently, as I watched her back rise and fall softly.  Hyori’s hair was swept behind her, so I had the perfect view of her peaceful face.  After about five breaths, her eyelashes would flicker but then they’ll relax once again.

                “You’re so beautiful, Hyomin.” I whispered, caressing her cheek as soft as I could.  It’s funny how I managed to discover her real name, and I bet it was rather shocking for her that I knew.  Everyone calls her by her stage name and they believe that it’s her real name.  Not even the media knows her real name.  I guess I’ll tell her tomorrow morning when it’s breakfast time.

                The thought has been echoing in my head lately.  What about her made me fall for her so quickly, so badly?  It can’t just be because I was worried about her, because that’s a normal thing to feel when you see your own housemate come home dead on their feet.

                Maybe it was when she finally spoke to me. Her voice was higher than just a mere whisper.  Or was it when she opened up and gave us vocal lessons so we can sing more properly for our project.  I grinned, remembering teacher’s and everybody’s reaction when they watched it.  Hyori and her group already debuted and were busy promoting their songs, but we made sure to give credit to her.

                Although some asked how we received her guidance, but I spoke up, saying it was a secret.

                But whatever she did, I only fell harder and faster.  I don’t regret a single second of it.  Those days of being strangers seem like a blurry memory.  Her presence, on a scale from one to ten at the time, was about a one.  I still have yet to figure out why she was like a living and breathing statue, but it might seem rude or rather awkward to ask that.  But now, her presence is like a million out of ten; she’s the only thing I can see.

                I wrapped my arm around her slender waist and scooted closer to her, and Hyori instantly snuggled up against my chest.

                “Mm, Luhan,” I heard her murmur.

                “Ssh, just sleep.” I whispered, running my hands through her hair and down her back.  She responded with a sigh and a weak nod, before I felt her body relax under my arm and her breathing slow down to a fluid pace.

                Asking for her hand in marriage will probably get me kicked out of the company, and put her at risk as well, but I already know about her secret.  It breaks my heart thinking that she won’t have long to live—not even long enough to bear children.  I want her last few memories to be filled with happiness; being married, successful on stage, and to not fear to fall into a deep, deep slumber.  My hands ran up and down her smooth, warm arm.  I’ll miss this warmth, and I’ll embrace every second of it.

                I sighed, and relaxed, closing my eyes.  You don’t deserve this pain, Hyori.  I’ll always be here for you.  I’ll love you endlessly.  I meant every word I said to you as I proposed to you.  I’ll never love a girl as much as I love you.

                As I laid there thinking thought after though, I soon drifted off into a deep sleep.

 -

                “Luhannie!” A sweet and cheery voice drifted into my ears. “Wake up!  I made you breakfast!”