Chapter 01

I was walking down an alley way and I guess it wasn't the best choice in the world. Living in the city of Chicago I learned a few tricks to get away from the mass of people. Occasionally you'll come across some homeless person living in a box or maybe a group of men smoking whatever they can get their hands on. I had a gun and every protection a girl can obtain, I guess that isn't enough when the men out there are professional at what they do. It was a long day after working at the diner downtown. Working with crummy people all day would make you want to avoid everyone at all cost too. As I walked home I turned down the alley that I knew well. It was chilly and dark because I worked late night and the clouds were covering the stars in the sky. I pulled my jacket tighter attempting to keep in more warmth and snuggled into myself as I walked with my head down. I was walking slowly, relaxing as the day's work left my body. I heard a strange sound behind me like the pattering of feet. It was not the first time I heard things like that in this alley. A dog rummaging through trash, street rats, stray cats... Who knew. So I continued walking. As I walked the night grew more eerie and I felt as if something were off. As I neared the end of the alley I felt more uncomfortable than normal as if some one were to be watching me with their close eye. Not even a block left to walk until I arrived at my apartment, I walked faster thinking maybe I was just overreacting. I was a rational person I thought, believing that nothing bad would ever happen to me. Of course then, I was only 21 and getting through college. At my apartment door I fiddled in my purse for my keys. Something knocked down about 20 feet away and I had jumped. My nerves were going crazy and I was annoyed with myself for being on edge for no reason. As the key slid into the door knob and I turned it, I heard a click. This click wasn't the click of my door unlocking but an all-too-familiar one, one I would remember from my childhood, one I never wanted to hear unless it were myself making it happen. I slowly pulled my hand away from the knob and lowered it to my side where my hand gun was strapped to my waist. I turned quickly and came face to face with an ugly man holding a gun up at my face, then everything went black, and that is all I can ever remember from that day.
____________________
Hey kids, so this story appeared in my head early today at like 6:45 when I was getting ready for school... Just in case you wanted to know exact time period. I've been writing when I can in school. I'm low key pumped for this short story and hope y'all like this opener. P.S. This will be about my beloved Mafia and the title may change not sure rn. Anyways gotta go change classes and go to lunch... Luv y'all.
~MMK