Chapter Thirty Nine

Start from the beginning

"There isn't going to be an In Case; you're going to turn the valve and snuff this pile." Glover said. "I'll have a reception squad waiting to unsuit you when you come back out, and if there's the slightest trace of contamination on your gear, it'll go straight into a stainless steel waste drum and you'll be choppered out to hospital - no arguments! If you're not out in ten minutes I'll send a crew in after you: I mean it!" Alan didn't doubt Paul would do exactly as he said.

The men approached the access airlock, a circular door set into the reinforced concrete wall of the Outer Containment Vessel. The portal resembled a watertight hatch between submarine compartments or a thick bank vault door. A small armoured glass peephole near the airlock's centre allowed a view of the space inside. Surrounding it were stern notices warning in block black print against a vivid nuclear yellow background that the area beyond was a No Lone Zone and any admittance or works to be undertaken within had to obtain the written authority of the site's Director of Operations. Next to it a tiny screen displayed the environmental conditions on the other side of the access. Beyond the threshold the air temperature was much higher and the humidity far lower: Fortunately the radiation levels weren't too far elevated beyond the norm.

"You realise that by going in there by yourself you'll be violating all manner of regulations; the Safety Committee are going to drag you over the coals in the Post Event Revue. Then once they've finished, Health Physics will start..."

"I'll justify my actions with them after the fact." said Carter. "We need to act quickly because we don't have long: There isn't the time to prepare a Plan of Operations in advance or even bring someone in from the evacuation points to do this; it's up to us, here and now."

"Agreed: Time to put your overgloves on and close your faceplate." Alan slid his visor down and locked it into place, before donning a heavy pair of heat resistant work gloves. He noted Paul had also put on a similar pair.

"You OK?" Glover asked over the radio.

""Fine!" Carter replied. "All systems Go here; would you pass me the toolbag?"

"Here you are: Contents; one spanner of the right size for the valve nut, a long adjustable spanner in case you need it, a spray can of penetrating oil, cloths, and the relevant pages from the technical manual, not that you'll need them as you know this place inside-out! Is there anything else you need before you go in?"

"I can't think of anything."

"Well good luck then!" Paul made to enter the access code on the airlock's keypad. "And if you encounter any unexpected problems, don't wait around or try to fix them; come straight back out and we'll organise a B-team to go at it."

"Of course. And Paul... If something does go wrong, boron bead Unit One, abandon the control room and get the operators back to the Triple-C. If I don't make it, tell the Public Inquiry exactly what happened - the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, you got me? Don't allow anyone to coerce you into giving a skewed testimony; no-one you understand! Promise me that!"

"Now stop it! In fifteen minutes we'll have got this bugger damped down and you can tell them all about it yourself. Now are you ready?"

"Yes."

Glover entered the code and there was the sound of heavy bolts being electrically withdrawn. The red light above the door changed to amber, then green. Paul grasped the locking wheel and spun it to the open position. "Hey, that feels warmer than I expected!" he exclaimed. "Better boost your aircon." Alan touched his control cuff and the whirring emanating from the suit's backpack increased in pitch.

Glover grasped a long handle located close to the door's edge. Pulling it sideways and opening the hatch there was a brief hiss as the outside air rushed in to equalise the airlock chamber's negative pressure. Paul swung the door fully open and Carter stepped inside.