Year 4 | Remembering Cedric Diggory

Start from the beginning

"He sounds like he was a good lad." Mr. Weasley nodded. "I only had the pleasure of meeting him once."

"He was. Harry and him got along quite well...."She nodded. Lily held her hands up to her eyes and hastily wiped away to tears that began to glimmer in her green eyes. "We should go in..."

"After you, dear." Mr. Weasley gestured.

Lily entered the Great Hall, followed by Mrs. Weasley and her husband. They took their seats in the same rows as the other Weasley children, Hermione and Harry. Lily sat down in the last seat of her row, beside Mrs. Weasley and in front of her, Harry. Behind her, Sloane gently squeezed her shoulder and leaned in to whisper in her ear.

"I'm so sorry, Lily."

Lily placed her hand over Sloane's and nodded in thanks before they all looked to the front of the grand room where Dumbledore sat in his chair.

"Today we acknowledge a really terrible loss. Cedric Diggory was as you all know, exceptionally hard working, intricately fair minded." He stood up, "And most importantly a fierce fierce friend. I think therefore you have the right to know exactly how he died."

He approached the podium and continued, "You see, Cedric Diggory was murdered by Lord Voldemort. The ministry of magic does not wish me to tell you this. But not
to do so I think would be an insult to his memory."

Lily put her hand and Harry shoulder as he continued to bow his head, hiding the pooling tears within his eyes. Cedric death would not have been the first death they had witnessed, but it would be the first death they would remember and to see such a horrid thing was...irrevocably scarring.

"Now the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me, reminds us that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues, our hearts beat as one. In light of recent events the bonds of friendship we made this year will be more important than ever." continued Dumbledore, "Remember that and Cedric Diggory will not have died in vain, you remember that. And we'll celebrate a boy who was kind and honest and brave and true right to the very end."

Lily stood up from her seat and quite a few of those around her thought she was going to leave, unable to bear it any longer. Instead, however, she gently raised her hands from her sides to the air above her. From the tips of her fingers flew out tiny yellow wisps of magic and each wisp hit one of the Hogwarts flags hanging uniformly about the room. Everyone watched as the magic did its part and each flag depicted a moving image of Cedric smiling in his Hufflepuff attire, just as they all had remembered him.

Cedric Diggory, the kind and noble Hufflepuff boy would never be forgotten. The Dark Lord would pay for that precious life that he took, along with the many others he had no right to take. For now, however, they would wallow in the peaceful silence and remember him.

They would always remember.