Scene Twenty-Three

The smells of beer, hot dogs, and popcorn mixed with the faint odor of feet as Maisie and Bastian entered the bowling alley Monday night. He nonchalantly reached over and took her hand as they strode to the cashier to pay for shoe and lane rentals. Her heart practically skipped a beat.

"Size 12 for me, and for the lady..." Bastian waved his hand toward Maisie.

"7 for me, please," she piped up.

The pimply-faced teenager behind the counter bent down out of view and re-emerged with the two pairs of shoes requested. He tossed them on the table. With a bored sigh, he asked, "Do you want to rent a lane per hour or per game?"

"What's the price difference?" Bastian asked.

"It's $4.99 an hour, or $6.99 a game."

"So, if we're quick, the hourly rate is a better deal?"

The cashier shrugged.

"We'll do two hours." Bastian looked to Maisie. "With only two people, we should be able to get at least 4 games in."

Maisie nodded and grabbed their shoes while Bastian pulled out a debit card.

"Lane 19, to your right," the young man said, handing Bastian a receipt.

Once they were settled into their lane, with names punched into the scoreboard, shoes laced, and bowling balls selected, Bastian nudged Maisie's arm.

"New York City, huh?"

"How in the world did you know about that?"

He grinned. "I have my ways."

Maisie smiled back, though uncertain how she felt about it. A - who'd be gossiping about her to him, and B - did he go out of his way to get information about her?

"Relax," he said, his grin widening, "Talia accidentally emailed me instead of your Tuesday night date to reschedule."

"Oh! Sorry about that!"

He picked up his ball and walked backwards toward the lane, smiling at her the whole time. "No worries. I figured you were probably still seeing other guys."

Relief momentarily filled her as he rolled his ball down the lane, but then Anxious Maisie took over. He assumed I was still seeing other guys. Does that mean he's dating other women? It's only fair, right? And we really don't know each other that well yet... But I don't want him seeing other people! But that's not fair to him. Fuck.

He clapped and pumped his fist as he walked back to take the seat beside her. "Strike!"

"Oh! Yes! Good job!" She high-fived him, and stood to take her turn.

As the date progressed, she found herself, and the situation, growing more and more awkward. It was difficult to hold a conversation because one of them was always getting up to roll their ball. Bastian was much better at the game than she was, which didn't bother her, per se, she just wished he'd be a more gracious winner.

"Haha! In your face!" He said at the end of the third game. She laughed and tossed her hands up in an Oh, well gesture, but squirmed inside.

"I'm getting kinda hungry. Why don't we head to dinner?" She suggested as he reset the scoreboard.

"We still have thirty minutes left. I'll take it easy on you this time." He winked. She gave in. He was clearly having fun. She was the one who was off. It wouldn't hurt to stick it out another half-hour.