Chapter 21

Closed Composition

Ghazal moved the cellphone away from her ear for the third time in a row, cursing the moment when she had decided to reveal the news of her engagement to her beloved friend Neha. Now she was giddily squealing in her ear and Ghazal was sure by the time she would end the call she wouldn't be able to hear.

"Neha, please stop with the squealing. You will murder my ear."

"Oh, I am sorry." Neha said clearing her throat, " We don't want Haaris to have a deaf wife."

"Haha, very funny."

Ghazal said with an eye roll and moved towards the bed where Adam was now sleeping with his storybook on his face. She smilingly pried the book from his grasp and kissed his forehead.

"So tell me Dr.Ghazal, when is the big day?"

"Ten days from now."

She felt the burden of words as Ghazal realized the heaviness those words had created. After ten days, her life would change again and she was hoping for the change to be good for her and Adam.

" My, my. Someone is eager. " Ghazal's cheeks flushed pink at Neha's straight remark and she hid it behind a groan, " I knew it, you were meant to be with each other. No one can miss that chemistry. "

Chemistry! Really Neha.

Her friend had a stupid habit of playing a matchmaker, not that she actually tried it but Neha always told looking at people whom they had a perfect match with or who they secretly like. Didn't know where she saw the chemistry between her and Haaris because whenever Ghazal thought about her last moments with Haaris, either she remembered slapping him, yelling at him or sulking in anger due to his blunt replies.

"What are you planning to gift him at the wedding?"

"He's getting married to me, Neha. How can I gift him anything?"

"Dumbo, bride and groom exchange gifts on the wedding day."

Ghazal fell silent on her reply, she never thought about it. She never gifted anything to Farzan nor he gifted anything to her. Their first meeting after the Rukhsati was the most awkward moment of her life. Farzan didn't bother to acknowledge her presence in his room and left, leaving her alone in his decorated room.

"I didn't think-"

Her speech was interrupted by the beep of her cellphone showing the other call on the line. It was Haaris's, glancing at the clock she knew it was his nightmare which would be bothering him.

"Neha, it's Haaris on the other line. See ya later."

"Ya doll, have fun with the fiancé."

Shaking her head, Ghazal accepted Haaris's call without wasting a second only to be welcomed by heavy breath as if he was having trouble to do so.

"Haaris, are you alright? "

"Ghaz- you will leave me."

Ghazal furrowed her brows in confusion, didn't know whether it was a question or a statement. Or he was just checking her.

"No, Haaris. I won't. Please be calm."

"You are lying. Everybody leaves me at one point in life, you will too."

She knew what he was implying at, his mother. That woman who maybe hadn't thought for once what her single action would do to her son. Surely, Ghazal pitied his mother due to the hate she had invited for herself from everywhere.