Chapter 9

Spilled Paint

Ghazal was astounded, to say the least. Was she hearing correctly?

No.

Haaris Yousuf, the great snob was apologizing to her. He understood his mistake. Only falling due to faintness was remaining for her, after the shock.

"It's alright."

Ghazal said biting her lower lip in anticipation, she managed to found her voice back which had fled away from her just hearing Haaris's apology.

Haaris only nodded his head in reply, maybe it was also new for him to apologize.

"Where's Adam?"

Haaris asked after a few minutes of silence. Ghazal was forced to look at him again in surprise, that man was behaving too decently today. Asking about her son! She never knew Haaris bothered about Adam because her son was too frank and friendly while Haaris was Haaris, what she could say!

When she came here, Ghazal was in no mood of talking to Haaris, even to glance at him. She was dreading for this day, the day of his rehab session when she had to face Haaris and it would only remind her of his bitter words which would hurt her some more.

But Ghazal was grateful that she met his grandmother first. That lady was full of winsomeness, and she liked her for that. Ghazal felt light and fresh after talking to her. It was her talkative nature or cheerfulness that she forgot about her problems for the time being. His grandmother was happy hearing about Adam and took a promise from her to meet him soon.

"At school," Ghazal replied.

"Aren't you going to ask me questions?" Haaris asked with some surprise in his voice.

"No. As if you will answer them." Ghazal scoffed at him. She saw some changes in Haaris's expressions. She surely had touched the right chord.

"You haven't forgiven me Ghazal, have you?"

Ghazal's eyes widened as her name left his lips. How dare he? She was a doctor for everyone and nothing else. He was taking her name as he knew her, calling anybody with their first name was too personal.

"Firstly it's Dr. Ghazal." She warned furrowing her brows, "and it needs time to forgive and forget."

How could he think that she would forgive him easily? It was a statement against her family, husband. Ghazal couldn't hear a single sentence against him, whether he loved her or not. She respected him, loved him and that was more than enough for her.

"Why can't you just say that 'yes, I forgive you.'"

Haaris bellowed, his forehead creasing with anxious lines.

"Mr. Haaris, do you want another glass of water on your face?"

Ghazal's question was enough to make Haaris silent but for a short period because at the very next moment, she heard his chuckling. He was looking at her with amusement in his eyes.

This man is seriously in need of help!

Ghazal thought rolling her eyes and busying herself in her notebook.

***

Haaris glanced at the doctor with amusement in his eyes. His grandmother was right, he felt light after apologizing for his mistake. Yes, he did the right thing. Now it was in Ghazal's hand to forgive but he had done his side of work.

He was amazed by hearing her witty reply. That woman surely had guts, nobody ever talked with disrespect to him and this lady in front of him was threatening him and that was a whole new experience for Haaris.