sc | day 4

as soon as oikawa saw iwaizumi walking up to his porch, he ran down the stairs, nearly falling in the process. he flung the door open and, without a word, pulled him in for a hug.

"shittykawa, wh—"

"thank you," he whispered in his ear, his grip tightening. iwaizumi relaxed, realizing what it was for. he, in return, wrapped his arms around the brunet.

"anytime," he said quietly, accepting the embrace. "i meant what i said. i care a lot about you and i'll always be by your side. and i'll punch anyone who says anything about it."

"i don't know what i'd do without you," oikawa said honestly, smiling to himself. "thanks for being my friend, hajime."

"wh-i—" iwaizumi spluttered, flustered.

"sorry, sorry, i mean iwa-chan," he laughed, pulling away. "sorry, i won't call you that."

"shittykawa," he grumbled, a blush prominent on his cheeks. he wanted to say 'it's fine', but something stopped him.

"but i really do appreciate it," oikawa said, blushing slightly himself. "i don't really have the precise words to express it, or to express how i feel about our friendship. all i can do is..." he trailed off, looking down at iwaizumi, in the eyes, "is hope you feel the same as i do."

iwaizumi stared back up at him, silenced by the intensity of his gaze and words, the intensity of the eye contact that he wanted to break but at the same time relish in forever. his mine was fuzzy, because his eyes were only so far away, his big, brown doe eyes that he never seemed to have appreciated enough now he thought about it.

"i think i do," he replied quietly.

a spark flew. both of their minds short-circuited, because fuck, what did he mean with that? that underlying meaning neither could quite decipher even though it was so painfully obvious in their own minds, because they did feel the same about their friendship. they both felt the same in the way that they agreed their friendship was slightly outdated, and that they were ready for something new, something more that they both wanted desperately but neither would dare to ask for because what if they risked that beautiful friendship they already had? that would surely be a shame. no, that would surely be a disaster. it was a simple no-go that would be so much simpler if either of them just said yes.

"i'm glad." oikawa's lips barely moved as he spoke, but the movement was instantly engraved in to iwaizumi's mind.

"we should go," oikawa said. iwaizumi felt a pang in his chest when he did, realising the moment would be destroyed instantly, and it saddened him that he didn't have the guts to forcibly bring it back.

"yeah, don't want to be late again," he laughed nervously, running a hand through his spiky hair. "your tardiness is a problem."

"you're blaming me?!" oikawa exclaimed, offended by his words, pouting slightly.

"of course, you're the one who attacked me."

"i did not!"

"i'm filing a report for harassment."

"just after you said you appreciated our friendship," he grumbled, starting to walk as iwaizumi did. "honestly, mixed signals, iwa-chan."

"yeah, yeah, whatever."

"iwaizumi, my man, my friend, my amigo, my best bro, m—"

"hanamaki, get to the point before i tape your fucking mouth, i swear to god, never 'bro' me again."

"sorry," he shrugged, "got it bro." iwaizumi glared at him. "anyway, oikawa told you?"

"you knew?"

"mattsun and i knew for a while," hanamaki told him. "three months or so."

iwaizumi stared at him. "...what?"

"you didn't know?"

"no, i didn't," iwaizumi grumbled.

he didn't quite understand. why wouldn't oikawa tell him first? he had said he was his best friend. didn't that give him, like, the automatic right to hear it before they did? 

"anyway, how'd it go?"

"it went well," iwaizumi replied, we 'bonded', so to say."

"you did now?" hanamaki smirked. iwaizumi glared at him.

"what are you on about?"

"well, you know, since he likes guys, and you two are pretty close..."

"oikawa doesn't like me," iwaizumi cut him off immediately, changing in to his training shirt. "i'm one-hundred percent sure."

"okay, so, you do like him?"

"i never said that," iwaizumi grumbled, pulling the shirt over his head, "stop drawing unnecessary conclusions."

"they're not unnecessary, they're hyperrealistic. c'mon, iwaizumi, you should tell him."

"i don't like him, hanamaki."

"but you do."

"i do not."

"do too."

"do not."

"do too."

"look, can we just conclude that i don't? and even if i did, nothing would change. you know us." he sighed. "we're still desperately clinging on to what we have now before we both leave."

"for university?"

"yeah," iwaizumi said quietly, stuffing his school shirt in to his bag. "for university."

"you two," hanamaki said firmly, "need to stop being so freaking scared of everything around you. you're going to regret this once you leave."

"regret not admitting to something that's not true?"

"let's put that aside for now. you two are blinding yourselves from all the truths just to hold on to one truth that was a year ago, or so. you're new people. accept it."

iwaizumi thought about it all day. what it was, he wasn't sure. oikawa, hanamaki's advice, matsukawa and hanamaki seemingly being closer confidential friends to oikawa than he was. it was all a lot to take in. especially since hanamaki was probably going to tell oikawa iwaizumi was madly in love with him and was planning to elope sometime soon — being a closet drama queen.

he snapchatted oikawa, captioning it 'time to talk?'. his response came quickly, reading 'what's up?'

'hanamaki said you told him and matsukawa'

'before me, that is. and that's your choice'

'but i was wondering why?'

'isn't it obvious? for the sake of our friendship. i was scared to ruin it, not knowing your opinion regarding same-sex relationships'

'you doubted that i'd support you...?'

'yeah. i doubt everything once i think too much, you know that.'

'that's true'

'i'm sorry, i shouldn't be whining about this'

'it's okay, iwa-chan, i appreciate you talking to me'

iwaizumi smiled. maybe someday, he'd tell the truth.