sc | day 1

iwaizumi had to set three alarms in order to not forget to post something, for he knew hanamaki would have his head if he didn't. he was drowsy and looked like shit, eyebrows and hair messier than they'd ever been, so he decided to just press his phone against his pillow, caption it 'morning' and post it without a second thought.

he got ready for school, putting his uniform on, still half awake — which was probably the reason why it was always so slightly disheveled. or it was oikawa who kept tugging at his clothes. he didn't know wether to be freaked out or endeared — he chose option number one.

when he grabbed his phone, he read that oikawa had 'sent a snap'. he raised his eyebrows and opened it.

the picture was oikawa, with the flower crown filter, posing with a peace sign — nothing new — and a caption that read 'good morning iwa-chan!!!' iwaizumi rolled his eyes, deciding to send a picture back.

no filter, he just smiled slightly and took one without much thought, putting 'good morning shittykawa' as the caption. he put his phone in his bag and headed downstairs, ready to get breakfast.

as he ate, he unlocked his phone. he had received a snapchat from oikawa. he opened it quickly.

the jerk had sent a selfie.

it disappeared after three seconds, but he noticed something.

replay.

he followed the instructions and oikawa's snapchat appeared as new. he looked at it carefully, actually finding that he looked quite nice. sure, he knew oikawa was good-looking, but it was definitely a good picture. he looked pretty.

iwaizumi shook his head. not today, gay thoughts, he told himself, not today. he knew he was at least a little queer, but he still pretty much ignored it for the sake of his friendships. he knew for a fact that there were homophobes on his team, and he didn't really want to encounter them — especially with an undecided sexuality.

he also knew that he found oikawa physically attractive, but that was buried deep, deep down, below his absolute annoyance for the brunet. he didn't acknowledge it in the slightest.

"he replayed?" hanamaki smirked as he sat next to oikawa during their break.

"he replayed," oikawa confirmed. "he replayed my captionless selfie. i mean, isn't that a signal?"

"maybe he was just being supportive," matsukawa shrugged. hanamaki elbowed him in the stomach.

"stop ruining this for me, mattsun," he scoffed. "anyway, back to your hopelessly depleted love life that will not see redemption without my help, i say subtly send him more of those and see what he does. if he does it more often, at least we can rule out the theory of it being an accident."

"christ, why is dating so hard," oikawa groaned, "can't he just say if he likes me or not?!"

"you know, you could do that too," masukawa pointed out.

"no, no, i cannot," oikawa said firmly. "he probably knows i like him by now. i mean, i act like it, don't i? i'm really bad at hiding it."

"actually, i think it just annoys him."

"fuuuuck," oikawa groaned. "makki, i can't confess to him. not if i'm not sure he likes me back."

"poor boy," hanamaki pouted. "but i get it. you don't wanna fuck up your friendship."

"exactly," oikawa sighed. "not being in contact with him would be worse."

"then go with plan a, subtly send more selfies to see if he screenshots."

"you mean replays?" oikawa frowned.

"i did it for the alliteration."

"nice one," matsukawa smirked, fist bumping him. oikawa groaned audibly.

"i hate you, i hate you, i hate you. so much. but fine. when should i send one?"

"tonight?" matsukawa suggested.

"after practice," hanamaki confirmed. "oikawa, do you understand the pressure? this has to be your best. selfie. ever."

"wow, way to pressure the guy," matsukawa chuckled.

"that's the point!" hanamaki groaned. "their relationship is like my conceived fetus-child. i shall give birth to a beautiful couple."

"hanamaki, no, ew, oh my god, stop," oikawa whined, "that's absolutely disgusting."

"deal with it, son number two."

"why am i number two?!"

"i favour iwaizumi."

"naturally." the three turned around to see iwaizumi walking over.

"iwa-chan!" oikawa blushed, sitting up.

"what were you on about?" he chuckled.

"nothing," they said in unison.

it wasn't working.

oikawa groaned. normally, he was great at taking selfies, but he was still sweaty and gross from practice and showers always messed his hair up. there was no way he was getting a decent one out at this rate.

he switched on his pink fairy lights, hoping they would add to the atmosphere as he sat in front of his full-body mirror, holding the phone up to take a mirror selfie.

it looked good. he looked like, well, a fairy. pleased with the results, he sent it to iwaizumi, and headed to the bathroom because fuck, post-practice clothing was gross.

oikawa looked like a fucking fairy.

he really, really liked it.

the picture spoke to him — the illumination of the pink lights, the way his silhouette was exceptionally evident, the way he leaned on his hand with his cheek that made it slightly squishy. it looked magical, in a sense. fairy-like.

screenshot.

he wondered why he hadn't thought of it earlier when he reflexively screenshotted the picture, only realizing what he'd done after, blushing slightly, even though there was no proof of what he had done.

oikawa checked his phone after his shower immediately, wanting to see the results, and nearly tripped in surprise. he'd expected another reply, sure — but...

iwaizumi had screenshotted?!

oikawa recalled explaining the app, and suddenly remembered he'd neglected to explain screenshotting (maybe that was on purpose, but nobody'd ever know). iwaizumi probably didn't even know he knew what he had done.

it made it even more endearing, somehow.

he smiled dreamily, lying down in bed, curling up with his phone in his hand.