Year 4 | The Potters and the Dark Lord

Start from the beginning

     "Earlier today Professor Moody placed the tri-wizards cup deep within the maze. Only he knows its exact position." He began.

     "I'll see you after, yeah?"

     He nodded and slipped back into the crowd, finding his seat next to his twin brother and younger sister. Lily took her place beside Harry as Dumbledore continued.

     "Now as Mr Diggory..." The crowd cheered on hearing his name. "And the Potters are tied for first position they will be the first to enter the maze. Followed by Mr Krum..."

     The Bulgarian crowd went crazy with cheers.

      "The first person to touch the cup will be the winner. I've instructed the staff to patrol the perimeter, if at any point should a contestant wish to withdraw from the task he or she need only send up red sparks with their wands." He continued, "Contestants, gather round."

     They all gathered around him and he spoke in abnormal voice, "In the maze you'll find not dragons or creatures of the deep. Instead you'll face something more challenging. You see, people change in the maze. Oh, find the cup if you can, but be very weary you could just lose yourselves along the way."

     Harry and Lily glanced uneasily at each other.

      "Champions! Prepare yourselves." shouted Mad-Eye. Cedric hugged his father and Harry and Lily smiled reassuringly at their friends who sat at the edges of their seated

     "On the count of three..." announced Dumbledore, "ONE..."

      The cannon went off with a loud echo and Mr. Filch, who was handling it, shrugged comically and Dumbledore groaned. Harry, Lily and Cedric entered the maze through different entrances. Harry surged forwards and as Lily glanced back, the last thing she saw was Dumbledore's and Mad-Eye standing beside each other, and farther back, Fred's worried expression.

      A heavy mist set in and much could not be seen as twilight fell quickly upon them. The hedges that made up the paths of the maze were many stories and and as they began to traverse the maze, noises made by creatures sounded all around them. In the meanwhile, Cedric was walking along in his own path just as the maze walls began to close in on his and he made a run for it.

     "Stay close." said Harry.

      "Always." replied Lily. He watched as she held her hand out and whispered, "Lumos Spaera."

     A wisp of light left the palm of her hand and shot ahead of them, lighting their way. As they walked along, watching their tracks closely, Harry began to speak in a hushed voice.

      "So, you and Fred, huh?"

      Lily glanced sideways at him, "Is that a trick question?"

     He chuckled despite their situation, "No, it's not. I mean, I'm glad you two have each other. He's good for you. No protective brother speech needed."

     "Yeah. He's sweet." She smiled at the thought of the red-haired Weasley. "I like the way I feel when I'm with him. As if all of my troubles just...float away."

      "I envy that." responded Harry,  "You have my blessing."

     "Oh, gee, thanks."

      A little ways away, they heard the snap of a twig and in an instant, Lily closed her fingers to her palm to make a fist and the light vanished. Someone was near. Close by, Fleur was running around, frightened, and it was not Lin before she was attacked by and knocked down. Viktor came along and saw she was unconscious on the ground, and proceeded to walk on. When the twins heard Viktor leave, they turned the corner and saw Fleur being swallowed into the undergrowth.