Chapter 8 - Good VS Great

I stood there, staring at Christian after he had slammed the front door in Trish’s face.  My mind was reeling from their heated argument, Trish’s interruption and whatever that was in the kitchen prior to all of this happening.

“Are you okay?”  I heard Chris say which felt like he was millions of miles away.  I nodded, still unable to speak.  His hands on both my arms were what snapped me out of my daze.  “I’m so sorry about that.”  He tells me as he pulls me in for a hug.  My arms instinctively reach around him as my face finds a comfy spot between his neck and shoulder, where my nose nuzzled the side of his neck.  I closed my eyes and took a deep breath in.  My stomach began to churn nervously, my heart rate picked up and a hot flash of sorts began to roll in.  I released my grip around his torso and gently pushed myself off of him.

“I’m fine.”  I say as I take a few steps back and turn toward the kitchen, I headed out the back door.

“Mia?”  He called out to me.  I didn’t answer him.  I sat on the steps, trying to collect myself.  After a few minutes of deep breathing, I managed to cool my jets and got up to head back inside.  I had found him where I had left him.  The only difference was that he was now pacing.

“Would you stop that?  You’re going to wear a hole through my floor!”  I find myself saying.  Christian stopped on the spot and faced me.  “I’m sorry I just flaked on you like that.”

“Flaked?  Fine, if that’s what you want to call it.”  He tells me.

“What else would I call it?”  I asked him defensively as I stared at him waiting for my answer.

“How about doubt?”  He said and took a few steps towards me.  My feet, stuck to the floor below me as my body threatened to commit treason.  “Maybe curiosity.”  And he approached me skillfully like a tiger would its prey.  “Or maybe it’s just plain fear?”  And we were now back where everything was before his cell had gone off moments ago in my kitchen; only, with no chance of Trish busting in on us this time.  “How about you finish what you were going to say earlier.”  He tells me softly as I feel his fingers gently rubbing the bare skin of my arm in a soothing fashion.  No matter the thoughts that scrambled through my head, every possible out I could come up with always ended with one thing…  His lips pressed to mine.  Why would my body betray me like so?  “Mia?”  He whispered.  “Open your eyes.”  I hadn’t realized I had closed them.  As I opened, Christian now looked different to me somehow.  “I think I already know your answer.”  He tells me and then with his free hand, he grabs my chin, bringing his lips gently to mine for a few seconds before pulling away, to examine my reaction.

My reaction had been nothing more than ordinary really.  Yeah, like you’d believe that!  I slapped the silly out of the guy.

“Why did you do that?”  I yelled at him with tears welling up in my eyes.  “Are you looking for a reason to lose me completely?”

“What’s the problem?”  Christian asked, his tone getting louder.  “Is it the fact that I kissed you or the fact that you felt something when I did?  Which is it Mia?”

“I…”  I froze.  “Is there a difference?”  Seriously?  You know there is!  I found my head telling me.

“You’re seriously going to play dumb with me right now?”  He asked me.  I stood there, no answer to give.  “Let me answer my own question.”  He says, and taking the necessary steps, he wraps an arm around my waist, pulling me into his body and taking his other hand; he grabs the back of my neck and firmly pressed his lips to mine.  My senses under attack, he was firing what felt like remorse, passion, guilt, pent up sexual urgency, but most of all attraction and love.  I couldn’t deny that he thought of me as someone more than just a friend.  As I started to give and return his kiss, he pulled away and released me.  Turning toward my front door, he undoes the deadbolt, turns the knob and pauses.  “I’ve made my point.  It’s up to you.  I know you felt something just now.  It’s up to you to admit it to yourself.”  He swings the door open and pauses again.  “For the record, I think we’d be good together, but that’s just me; nothing but a rich spoiled boy who doesn’t know any better.”  And he walks out, closing the door loudly behind him.