Donna's face screwed up into an uncomfortable expression. "I'm doing nothing wrong."

Henry got closer to his sister's face. "You're doing everything wrong. Stop acting so rude."

I gripped the cool stem of my wineglass as I cleared my throat, gaining both of their attention. "I can leave if this is going to cause a problem. I'm sorry if I upset anyone."

Henry was quick to move next to me, wrapping his fingers around my elbow, squeezing enough times for my gaze to fall on him. "It's my birthday and I want you here."

"It's not your house, though," I said back, more for Donna's benefit.

Donna's breath came out in a long puff as she moved to brush past me. "It's fine."

My eyes followed her out of the room, heart starting to pick up speed in my chest. Confrontation was the worst. It caused me no end of anxiety. I almost lost my nerve to come here today, and I was starting to wish that I listened to those unhelpful thoughts.

I twisted my fingers together. "Have I upset your sister?"

Henry put a stop to my nervous tick by pulling my hands towards his chest, strong enough to move me forwards. I came close enough for the scent of the sea and crushed peppercorns to hit me. A fragrance I smelt on him quite regularly.

"Donna thinks us getting involved with each other is going to affect Mabel's school work. I told her differently, but she's stubborn and a little bit rude to everyone, so please don't take it to heart," he said.

Don't take it to heart? How could I not? I prided myself in my work. I lowered my voice. "I wouldn't let anything impede her education. You know that, right?"

His smile may have been small, but the emotions behind it sent me back a step or two. "I do."

I stepped over to the kitchen counter to top my glass of wine up, letting my eyes wander the room. "And it seems your sister is a fortune teller because it's very early days for us. We hardly know each other."

"Exactly." He gave me a sure nod.

I pointed my glass towards the many bottles of beer lined up on the kitchen counter. "Somebody's passionate about their beers."

Henry picked up a bottle with a wacky label to turn it in his hands. "It's a German ale. My uncle brought them over here when he was visiting last month, so my dad fetched them along for people to try."

"I don't think I've ever tried ale," I said, seeing the German labelling.

Henry picked up the bottle opener and cracked one open, pouring a bit in a plastic cup to hand over to me. "There's a first time for everything."

I took the cup from him, letting the bubbles settle before cautiously taking a small sip, tasting the fruity, copper liquid. It was rather enjoyable as I didn't get the strong beer taste I expected. Henry wasn't so refined as he drunk from the bottle, eyes going wide as if asking for my opinion.

"I like it," I said, draining the rest.

"You want a bottle?" he replied, wiping around his mouth as he settled his bottle of beer next to my wine glass I just put down.

I ran my eyes across the other ales, spotting a fruity cider mixed between them. "I have a soft spot for cider."

"Oh, you're a dream," he replied, his wink slow enough for a smile to spread across my face as I watched him open the bottle and slide it my way.

I laughed. "And, why am I a dream?"

Henry leant back to rest on the worktop with one arm crossing over his midriff as the other supported the drink in his hand. "Many things, but if we can be cider buddies. I'm a happy guy."