Starlight

Isolde awoke the next morning feeling sore but satisfied. Last night had been intense, she and Spencer seemingly going from nought to sixty in a ridiculously short period of time. 

Iss blamed her song choice, Hysteria had always caused a reaction in her. She adored the song but couldn’t listen to it whilst driving as it made her speed, there was just something about it that evoked something from deep within. And now apparently she couldn’t sing it whilst in a room with certain people. The music had obviously triggered the same feelings in Spencer as well, as he’d barely made it back to her apartment before he’d started tearing at her clothes. 

Issy ached all over her back and neck, sore from where Spencer had done a number on her. She’d enjoyed it though, the memory of their interactions making heat pool between her thighs again. Rolling over, Iss wondered if he’d be up for round two. 

The bed was empty beside her, rumpled sheets indicating a hasty exit. Sitting up Iss reached for her dressing gown that was discarded on the floor, noting the mess on the floor by her dressing table.

But where was Spencer?

Climbing out of bed she spotted a piece of paper on her desk, unfamiliar writing. Okay, so he’d left a note. 

“I’m sorry. Last night was a huge mistake.”

What? 

Isolde had expected apprehension from him, maybe even guilt over Maeve. But she’d never once been referred to as a mistake. Ever.

Searching for her phone remembered dropping her bag in the living room. Iss drew her dressing gown close, creeping through the living room and seeing that either Ally or Jake had picked her stuff up and placed it on the couch. Finding her phone Iss searched for Spencer’s number, calling him. It rang out. 

She hit redial, it ringing again and then being directed to voicemail. He’d cancelled the call. 

“Are you fucking kidding me Spencer? Call me back. I get you feel guilty about Maeve but we can talk about it. Call me back.”

Pulling a bottle of water out of the fridge, she climbed back into bed for a few hours, eventually drifting back off to sleep. 

When she awoke once more, he still hadn’t called back. Iss tried him again being diverted automatically to answer phone. 

Screw this.

Getting dressed she drove over to his apartment building. Iss knew where he lived but not what number. Annoyingly, his name wasn’t on any of the mail boxes. Well shit. 

She text him again, “I’m outside your building Spencer. Let me in. We need to talk.” Perching herself on the steps, she waited for an hour calling him every few minutes. 

If it was any other guy that had ran out on her, she wouldn’t be bothered. But Isolde knew that last night had to have been a big deal for him. And the fact that he’d referred to it as a mistake and ran out, frustrated and upset her . 

Issy eventually gave up, needing to go to work and thinking maybe he’d come in later. Perhaps he just needed time to think, to sort through the emotions going through his head. She remembered back to the first time she’d had sex after Adam. The act itself had been fine, but she’d locked herself in her bedroom for two straight days afterwards. Issy had sobbed, angry for actually feeling something close to pleasure with someone else, and for the briefest of moments, forgetting him. 

In the end, Jake had busted the bedroom door down, dragging his guitar into the room with him and just strumming melodies until she stopped crying and began to hum along. They had always shared a close bond and she knew he was hurting that she’d pushed him away when all he wanted to do was take care of his baby sister. That was nearly two years ago, and it was that moment when Iss realised that music was going to be her saviour. Her humming had turned into singing, Jake picking up the tune quickly and together they’d sung their mom’s favorite song, Landslide.