Eighth Day

SORRY FOR LATE PUBLISH

in which adrien's agitated and meets his princess on a glittering balcony

He was pacing.

He was conflicted.

Ladybug had made Christmas sound so nice, but she probably had the right people to spend it with. He didn't have anyone, well, anyone who really cared about him. He wanted to ask someone, someone good, like Nino or even Ladybug, to spend Christmas with him, but he didn't want to tear them from their families. 

He could hear Plagg's groan of annoyment. "Kid, transform and clear your head, just, anything but the constant pacing!"

Adrien rolled his eyes, but smiled anyway. He knew what would clear his head, or perhaps make him more confused. 

A visit with a princess always made him smile. 

And so, silent like the cat he was, he transformed and glided through the night towards Marinette's balcony.

So many lights passed in a blur, voices fading in and out quick as a snowflake melted in the palm of your hand. A child's giggle, the laughter of an old woman as her husband sang a carol, probably dancing in the park, the loud and joyful chatter coming from many restaurants of many ages and tones. 

And then her voice, humming a melody and singing a tune, at first faint but slowly growing in volume. 

"...the little lamb to shepherd boy, do you hear what I hear? Ringing through the sky shepherd boy, do you hear what I hear? A song, a song, high above the trees, with a voice as big as the sea, with a voice as big as the sea."

There she was, sitting on her pink chair, embroidering a piece of cloth, music streaming pleasantly from the radio beside her. And so he landed on her roof behind her and continued her song. "Said the shepherd boy to the mighty king, do you know what I know?"

Marinette glanced up, a warm smile on her lips. "Didn't know you could sing, kitty."

Chat Noir grinned as he climbed down onto her balcony beside her, her balcony lit with fairy lights. "Although I have many talents, singing is not one I consider in the list."

She snorted adorably, shaking her head. "I beg to differ."

Banter ensued between the two, teasing and even flirting a little late into the night. Until Marinette's  uncanny ability to read people like books came to her aid.

"Why did you come tonight, kitty?" She asked, turning to look at him.

He hummed, unwilling to answer. "Maybe I just missed you."

A soft laugh filled the night air. "Yeah, sure. You might miss me as your civilian self, but I know you're much more carefree as the cat. Or, at least, you don't seem to let things get to you as easily." 

Chat Noir scoffed, before hesitating a moment. "True." He sighed, relenting. "I... I've never had a real Christmas and recently, my... friends have opened my eyes to what it can be. And, and I want to experience that but, I don't want to tear anyone away from their families."

Marinette gazed at him, a small smile on her face. "Chat, you can come by anytime you want. You know that, right?"

"Yeah, but I don't want to intrude." He tried to reason with her.

"Come by. My mum, she always makes way too much food anyway." Another laugh, relaxed and happy. "Christmas is a time for friends, right? Nobody deserves to be alone, not on Christmas." 

"...okay, fine. I'll drop by."

"I'll be expecting you, kitty."