The Search, Part 1

I stood next to Zuko in his throne room, my belly protruding farther than the rest of my body. He's hands were folded as he sat silently and mulled over whatever thoughts had been consuming him for the past couple of weeks. He'd been acting strange for a long time, especially after he and the others had listened to a professor's lecture on ancient Earth Kingdom theories of government. Whatever that professor said had clearly stuck with him.

"Family is like a nation," he said abruptly.

"What?"

"A family is like a nation," he reiterated. "How one treats their family is how a ruler should treat their nation."

My hand drifted to my stomach. "What are you getting at, Zuko?"

"It's what the professor told us, and he was right. My family is a mess. I don't know where my mother is, and my father and sister were imprisoned by me. I've kept them in solitary confinement," he said with a frown as he stared forward.

"And with good reason," I said with a nod. "They're insane, Zuko."

He thought this over, then stated, "I'm going to visit them in the prison."

My eyes widened. "Y-You're what?" I stuttered. "Zuko, listen to me; as your advisor and your best friend, I don't think that's a good idea."

The Fire Lord stood up and finally looked at me, his face stern but hopeful. "They may have been bad people, but they're still my family. They are my best chance at finding my mother. I need to know where she is, Saki."

I searched his eyes for hesitation. I needed to know that he was serious; any sign of self-doubt would only make his goal that much harder to achieve. When I found none, I sighed in defeat. "Fine," I caved. "Fine, but I'm going with you."

Zuko laughed softly and put his hand over my stomach. "No, you're not," he said with a shake of his head. "The last thing I want is you and this baby in that prison, especially near my father and sister."

"Zuko, I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself. This baby and I have survived many, many disputes for the last seven and a half months," I reminded him. "Besides, I've been keeping you alive for all these years, haven't I?"

He laughed again. "Yes... Yes, you have." He looked at me again and sighed when he realised that he wouldn't win this argument. He called out for Ty Lee and Suki, who came running in decked out in their Kyoshi Warrior armor. "We're going to visit Azula and my father," he told them, "and I need the two of you to keep Saki safe while we're there." With a courteous smile from the two of them, we all ventured to the prison.

"Congratulations!" Ty Lee giggled as she looked at my enlarged belly. "I bet the baby is gonna be so cute! Have you and Bao decided on any names? Do you know if it's a boy or girl? Do you think it'll be a bender? Ooh! What if-"

"Thank you, Ty Lee," I chuckled, a kick bumping against my palm. "Whether it's a boy or a girl, bender or not, I'll love it all the same."

Zuko added with a smile, "and the baby will be protected and treated as part of the royal family."

"Your trip to the Yu Dao summit seems to have done you good," Suki said as we neared the cell. "You're more upbeat than-"

"-my usual self?" Zuko offered.

Suki shook her head. "I didn't say that. I'm - I mean, we're glad to have you back, Zuko."

Zuko nodded and said, "Aang wants Yu Dao to be the prototype for a new kind of city, one that unites the four nations."

Ty Lee clapped her hands amd chirped, "That sounds exciting!"

"It sounds idealistic," Zuko frowned.

As we looked into the cell, I sighed, "The world could use more idealism." Inside of the room, Ozai sat mutely in his cell as his daughter sat in her chair on the opposite side of the metal bars. Neither of them moved or made a sound, which made me question for a moment if I had suddenly lost my sense of hearing.

"Have they said anything to each other?" Zuko asked.

Suki shook her head. "Not a word."

"Really?" I asked. "Not a Hi or How are you? from either of them?"

When she shook her head again, Zuko ordered, "Open the door."

Ty Lee nodded and did as he said, allowing him to walk into the room with a tray that I hadn't even noticed that he was carrying. "You're bringing them tea?" I gawked.

"Zuko, they're your prisoners not your guests!" Suki said.

Zuko didn't look at us. "They're still my family," he said sternly. As he approached his sister, she whipped her head around and knocked Zuko to the ground, sending the tray of tea clattering to the floor. Even in the darkness of his cell, I could see Ozai's smug smile at his son's expense.

"How did you expect me to drink tea while wearing a straitjacket, ZuZu?" She shrieked. "Did you want to watch me lap it like some kind of animal?!" She shot to her feet, knocking the chair backward.

I growled and took a step forward, but Suki grabbed my arms as Ty Lee lunged at Azula and used chi blocking to render her former friend's body limp. Waddling into the room, I could see that Azula's eyes were filled with craze and pent up rage. "Peasant!" She grunted at me as she laid on floor. "How dare you come in my presence!" When I didn't flinch at her words, her gaze of lunacy moved to Ty Lee as she screeched, "Tell me how she got to you and Mai! How'd she make you lose your fear of me?!"

"Azula, you're not making any sense!" Ty Lee said as Zuko lifted his sister and set her back in the chair.

"You and father are meeting for the first time in over a year," Zuko said to his sister, "and I know these aren't the best of circumstances. I thought the tea might lend a little....dignity."

Azula tilted her head to look at her brother, eyes droopy. "You want dignity?" She asked. "Let father and me talk one another like two human beings - in private."

I looked at Zuko, who refused to look at me as he came to a decision. He nodded, muttering, "Fine."