Chapter 10

Days went by after our conversation with Zuko. The days drew out into weeks. We hadn't seen or heard from him, and I couldn't look away from the letters that had been exchanged between my parents and Ursa. 

Dear Ursa,

You were right! Takoda and I are so happy together. We're expecting the baby any day now! It's funny that our babies will only be a few months apart. It reminds me of when we were little girls. We used to plan our lives in great detail, doing everything at the same time. How strange, life is. You wouldn't believe me if I told you that my belly has grown so much since my last visit to the palace. How is Ozai doing with baby Zuko? He's never been a very compassionate man, so I can only imagine how little time he spends with his son. I'll never understand why you married that man! Anyhow, I truly miss you, dear friend. It's so dreadfully cold in the South Pole! I can only assume that you want to laugh and say you told me so, but I will not give you the privilege! I have had enough mocking from my Zhao and my father for marrying a Water Tribe man rather rather than some stuffy Fire Nation politician. But I suppose this is the price I'll pay for love. 

Please write back soon,

Hikari

My mother's penmanship was beautiful. It was the only thing I had of her, and that fact made my chest ache. I moved onto the next scroll. Iroh reached through the bars with the hand that wasn't bending a small, flickering light, and grabbed my wrist. "Are you sure that you want to continue reading?" He asked.

"You had Bao bring them to me for a reason, didn't you?" I asked. "I want to know about my parents. I want to know about their relationship with Ursa. I want to know everything that I can. So, please," I pulled my wrist from his grasp, "give me a little more light?" He complied, though he had a guilty expression on his face. What didn't he want to me know?

Dear Ursa, 

It is with a heavy heart that I deliver to you such bittersweet news. Our baby girl was born yesterday. However, my wife passed away in the process. The pain must have been too unbearable for Hikari. How am I supposed to feel? I lost the love of my life, but was given a miracle in the end. She didn't even get to hold her darling baby. Ursa, I don't know what to do. I've never been alone with a child for more than an hour. How am I supposed to raise her on my own? I feel so lost Ursa, what do I do?

Your friend,

Takoda

Dear Ursa,

We regret to inform that your friend, and our fearless brother in battle, has died. Takoda had received word that there was a Fire Nation fleet planning to attack our village. As we traveled to their supposed whereabouts, a relentless storm began to brew. Our ship and men would not have survived without him. Unfortunately, he did not return home with us in the condition in which he left. During the violent rocking of our ship, a harpoon had somehow come loose and pierced his chest. To follow his last wish, we ask that you please take care of his young daughter, Saki. She is eight years old, nearly nine. She is becoming a powerful waterbender at such a young age, and the village is in no condition to raise another child. 

Sincerely,

Hakoda of the Southern Water Tribe

My heart felt like it had stopped. I could no longer breath. I was the cause of my mother's death... It was my fault that I didn't have parents! I looked at Iroh, who looked away with a solemn expression painted on his face. "Is this why you wanted me to stop reading?" I asked, but received no reply. "Why am I just now finding this out, Iroh?" My voice bounced from the walls, the echo fading away as footsteps neared our cells. I slid the scrolls into my balled-up blanket and leaned against the cold metal bars as the door creaked open. 

"What's going on in here?" The guard barked. Neither of us answered him. "Fine," he sneered. "Don't tell me. You're just a crazy old man and a floozy. I wouldn't be surprised if you were satisfying him, as well." I growled under my breath, and Iroh shot me a warning look when the guard wasn't looking. The man, whose name I kept forgetting — was it Jeng? Let's call him Jeng.— sat on a small bench against the wall and toyed with his sword, as if to taunt us. My eyes landed on the keys glimmering against his armor. Iroh may have said to wait for his plan, but there was no way I'd pass up this opportunity. If anything, I reasoned with myself, this will bring his plan along much sooner.

I leaned against the bars, biting my bottom lip. Of course, I was more than uncomfortable doing this in front Iroh...but what needed to be will be done. Jeng looked at me, the sneer still painted on his lips. I whined for attention, to which he snarled, "What do you want?"

I chuckled softly, cocking my head to the side. I purred my reply, "You."

"What game are you playing?" Jeng asked. "I won't have any nonsene, I tell you!

I did my best impression of Ty Lee's giggle, then spoke slowly. "Come on... You didn't honestly think that those stories you heard about me were just rumors, did you?"

"Yes, actually," he said, giving into the poor act of a temptress I was giving.

"Well," I cocked my head to the other side and teased with my clothing, brushing the skirt back to reveal my thigh. "Why don't you come over here and find out for yourself?"

His sneer mixed with a smile, and he sauntered over to my cell. He gripped my jaw roughly and pressed his lips against mine between the bars. His tongue forcibly parted my lips, and I grabbed the belt tied around his waist and pull him closer. His other hand brush against my thigh, gripping it hard as well, while our tongues fought for dominance. I fiddle with the knot of his belt with one hand as if to untie it, and unhooked the keys from his armor with my other hand. 

The door to our cells opened. Jeng quickly jerked away and pushed me to the floor as Ming, one of the few nice soldiers, entered with a tray of tea. I held the keys behind my back as I fell, both Jeng and I breathing heavily. 

"Watch out for these two, Ming," Jeng laughed, acting as if nothing had happened. "They may knock you with their stench." He laughed again as he exited. Ming glared over her shoulder at him. 

Breathless, and rather sore from the fall, I looked down at the keys gripped in my hand. My lips curled into a grin. 

After Ming left, Iroh looked at me and blushed awkwardly. Unfazed, I held up the keys and whispered, Soon.