Bonus Chapter: The Wedding

"Katara, you're insane," I said, wheezing as she tightened a ribbon around my waist. "Katara! I need to breathe!"

"Oh, don't be so dramatic," she laughed. "Saki, it's your special day. You can breathe later." As she tied the ribbon, she asked, "Aren't you nervous?"

I shook my head. Of course I wasn't nervous. I was marrying the man I loved, and my best friends would all be with me the whole time. I looked in the mirror at the betrothal necklace and the dress. I felt more beautiful than I ever had.

Katara looked in the mirror as well and smiled, vocalising what she figured I wanted to hear. "Bao's very lucky," she said. "You're gorgeous."

I smiled back at her, touching the pendant. "No. I'm the lucky one." I ran my hands along the dress, gently touching the pale blue silk. It cascaded to the floor like a waterfall, reminding me of waves whenever I moved.

I stepped down from the pedestal, holding Katara's hands for support. "You're so beautiful," she restated. She grins and hugs me tightly, but not nearly as tight as the ribbon that was surely crushing my lungs. "I'm so happy for you."

The door slid open, revealing Sokka. He smiled and, much to my surprise, didn't make a single sarcastic remark about the dress or wedding. He simply gave a serene smile and hugged me as well. After separating, he asked, "Are you sure about this? Just say the word, and I'll kick everyone out of here."

I laughed. "I'm sure. I love him, Sokka."

He hugged me again. Quietly, he said, "I gotta tell you - I always thought you would end up with Zuko. You two seemed great together, like a power couple or something."

"I thought so too at one time," I replied with a chuckle, "but he has Mai and I have Bao, and we're both happy." I wouldn't say that I was lying, but I was beginning to second guess myself. Was I meant to be with Bao? My stomach was suddenly in knots, and I hated Sokka for making me nervous at the very last moment.

Sokka mulled this over, his overprotective almost-brother side showing before he smiled again and kissed my forehead.

The door opened again, and in came General Iroh, the Avatar, and Ty Lee. Ty Lee was the first to hug me, practically throwing herself onto me and spinning us around as she squealed in excitement.

"Is everyone going to barge in and see me before the ceremony?" I asked with a laugh after Ty Lee released me, making me lose my balance and tumbling into Iroh. He lifted me back to my feet as I said, "I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be a surprise when you see the bride."

"We couldn't wait anymore!" Ty Lee squealed. "Ooh, you look sooooo pretty, Saki!"

"Thank you," I laughed a bit before looking at Iroh. He smiled warmly at me, and I instantly felt at ease again. The man that had practically raised me, made my life that much bearable, was going to give me away to a man that I really truly was in love with.

"I have watched you grow. I have loved you as my own, I have feared losing you, and I have watched you heal to become such a strong young woman," he said softly. "Ursa and your parents would be so proud of you."

Aang, being the sweetheart that he was, wiped away the tears that were streaming down my cheeks. The entire group engulfed me in an embrace, nearly suffocating me in affection.

Moments later, Iroh was leading me down the aisle. At the end of the aisle stood my soom-to-be husband and Fire Lord Zuko as his best man. Bao and I locked eyes, smiling like a couple of happy-go-lucky idiots throughout the entire ceremony.

When it was time for vows, Bao spoke first, "Saki, you're absolutely unpredictable. You never give up, and that's why I love you. Let me be a part of your narrative, so that I can make you as happy as you can be. I swear on the spirits that I will always be around for you, and I will do whatever it takes to make the world safe and sound for you." He laughed nervously before adding, "Not that you really need my protection."

Our friends and his family shared a collective Awww as he took hold of my hands. I felt a tear falling from my eye, but I smiled regardless. The rest of the ceremony seemed like a blur, a mix of congratulations and hugs from Bao's family and my friends stealing me from one another to dance.

The only discernible moment of the evening was Zuko's words when it was his turn to steal me from the others. He smiled down at me and said, "You may be a married woman now, but there's no way I'm letting anyone take my best friend away from me." He laughed softly and continued, "I want you to be my advisor. You and Bao can live the palace."

"So basically," I laughed with him, "you don't want anything to change."

He shrugged. "Guilty as charged."

By nightfall, Bao and I collapsed onto the bed of what was once Azula's room. We didn't speak for a long time. We simply looked at one another, unsure of what to say. What do people say after they get married? 'Woo, we're making an adult decision!'?

"What do we do now?" Bao finally asked.

I smiled mischievously and sat up. "Zuko has a secret stash of snacks in the throne room, and I'm starving."

Bao chuckled, "We've been married for two hours, and you're already trying to get me in trouble." I laughed and grabbed him by the hand, yanking him to his feet and heading towards the throne room.

Author's Note
I seem to be having separation anxiety from this story, so expect some sporadic bonus chapters from time to time.