Chapter 9: day 1.4

The catacombs:

[Jessica's POV]

The last flare was dying out, we've been down here for hours and still there was no sign of anybody coming  to rescue us.

"I-I'm sorry," Kyle whispered.

I wanted to tell him it wasn't his fault, that I agreed to this to, that when we get out of here because I know we will i'm kicking Derek's ass. But all that came out were weak and shaky breaths that made my whole body shiver. So I reached my ice cold hand up from my laying position in his lap and pressed it against his cheek, I hated that I couldn't do more than simply smile at him. I brought my hand back down and felt my eyes start to droop again. Deep in my gut I knew that falling asleep was gonna be the worse thing I could do at this moment. Maybe just for a second...

"Jess, hey, stay awake," Kyle gently shook me.

I felt my eyes rolling to the back of my head and I could see the light from the flare was finally starting to fade until we were left completely in the dark. At that moment I found it hard to piece together what happened. I remember a loud sound echo in my ears and dust flying into the air and inhaling it into my lungs making me choke. I heard weird humming noises, it almost sounded like people talking, and then light beams shot through the dusty air showing off all the little particles floating around until one shone into my half open eyes.

I remember a man running towards us and placing a hand on Kyle's shoulder and speaking to him, the man had a mask placed over his mouth and nose keeping the dust off him. Next a women approached us wearing a similar mask, she gave her attention to me and I think she was speaking but I couldn't make it out. She had a red bag besides her with a white cross on it and she pulled out a different looking mask from theirs and she placed it over my head and adjusted it. At first I had no idea what the purpose of the stupid thing was until I heard a click sound and sweet fresh air started flowing through the mask making me jerk as I took a deep breath and passed out.

I woke up, my eyes still shut, but I was laying on a soft surface, and there was a faint beeping noise next to me and something was touching my hand. It took a while before my eyes opened and I caught the bright white walls around me in the blank room. I slowly turned my head, my muscles stiff and sore, I could tell I was in the hospital and had one of those annoying things that wrapped around your head and sat under your nose pushing air out.

That's when I noticed him, head down on the edge of the bed in a wooden chair, hand in mine. I squeezed my hand in his getting his attention and he shot his head up with worry filled eyes. He opened his mouth to speak but I held a finger up to stop him only to find that my voice wasn't in the best shape from my dry and scratchy throat that made me cough a moment.

"Here," he said handing me glass with a bendy straw poking out of it.

He held the glass for me as I nearly drank the whole thing like my life depended on it.

"I'm so sorry Jess I should have never taken you down there..." he whimpered.

Before I could say something back the door to the room opened and an older women walked in with a long white coat on. She had a clip board in her hands and looked up from it and smiled at me.

"Ah! your awake," she said in a happy tone.

I smiled awkwardly at the women and nodded my head.

"I'm doctor Gillian, you two sure got yourself's deep into the catacombs. If you had been down there any longer you for sure would of been in trouble," she pointed at me with her pen.

"When can we go home?" Kyle asked her.

"I'll go get your paper work then your free to go. And just a heads up we called both your parents, hospital policy," she said leaving the room.

I couldn't even begin to imagine the amount of trouble I was about to be in when I got a hold of my mother.  I shut my eyes and felt Kyle's hand disappear from mine and I guess I must have fell asleep because when I woke up it was 4am and I was in my bed back at the house.

I got up dying to stretch and use the bathroom. I checked Kyle's room finding it empty so I forced my tired limbs to carry me down the stairs where I found him sitting on the couch looking down at his hands. Has he not slept yet?

"Hey..." I said, my voice cracking.

He looked up at me a bit startled but I could see a guilty look settle in his eyes.

"You should be resting," he said blankly.

"So should you, why aren't you in bed?" I asked sitting on the couch.

"Couldn't sleep," he answered.

"I'm fine Kyle, it's not your fault, I wanted to go down there just as much as you did," I confessed dying to get this off my chest.

"I feel responsible! for all of it..." he admitted.

I cupped his face with my hands and looked him dead in the eye and told him it wasn't his fault and to stop thinking that because it was driving the both of us insane. After another long and tiring conversation he finally let up.

I forced him to go upstairs using the 'I'm freezing come share your body heat with me' excuse. I cuddled into his chest on the soft bed, I was cold, but no blanket could comfort me the way he did.

I no this is way over due! But I hope you enjoyed this!
~~~don't be a silent reader!~~~
VOTE
COMMENT
AND
FOLLOW:)