Chapter 7: day 1.2

The Catacombs

[Jessica's POV]

My feet landed on the floor creating an echo as I jumped off the ladder. I spun around taking it all in as I squinted into the darkness of the sewers. I heard Kyle land next to me and he had a smile on his face.

"Come on it's just up ahead," he waved.

We walked down the dried up sewers into the dark nothing. The walls were concrete and stood a good 10ft. I could hear the scratching of little nails scurrying across the floor in front of me making me shiver at the thought of a rat climbing up my leg.

"It should be right around here," Kyle said.

I looked as far as my head light could manage until an opening in the wall caught my attention.

"This it?" I asked walking over towards it.

Kyle came up behind me and gave it a look before nodding his head and walking through. The concrete walls soon disappeared and the wall squared out into a hallway shape. The ground beneath me was rock and there was roots coming out of the walls and ceiling.

"Here," Kyle said handing me the lantern.

I grabbed the metal handle and he lit the inside of it sending out a yellow glow around us. Kyle took it from me and held the lantern up as we continued forward until I stumbled on something and skidding to the ground scraping my palms.

"Are you alright?" Kyle said kneeling down beside me.

"Ya I think so? What did I trip on?" I asked looking around.

Kyle helped me stand up and I brushed off the rocks sticking to my palms. I looked around on the ground until my eyes froze on the object that tripped me.

"Oh my god..." I muttered.

"What-"

He must of noticed it to when it went completely silent. Sitting near the wall was an old skull on its side looking right at us. A real life actual human skull...

"Let's keep going..." I said.

The farther we got into the tunnel the more human remains we stumbled upon. Soon they were what made up the wall in either side of us. |seen in picture| It was amazing at how organized the walls were with the rows of bones and how hard it must of been to get it like that.

"This is incredible," Kyle muttered.

"Tell me about it," I chuckled.

As we walked further and further the air got more cold making put my jacket on and zip it up.

"You cold?" Kyle asked.

"It's freezing aren't you cold?" I chuckled.

"A bit," he shrugged.

Soon the hallway opened up to a big circular room and we stepped inside with awe. The walls where made up of rock and carved into them was a bunch of weird symbols. Me and Kyle stood close the wall studying the weird sketching's.

"It's Greek..." Kyle muttered.

I took a closer look and soon pieced together a few letters as memories came flooding back to me. As kids me and Kyle thought it would be cool to have our own private language so we learned the Greek alphabet.

"This one I think says Thaddeus... Edgemen?" He said unsure of him self.

"This one is Sarah Colten," I said brushing my fingers against the indented rock.

"There names... Of all the people buried here," I muttered.

I did a small circle looking around the room some more. There wasn't a single space of rock that wasn't being used as writing space. There was 4 doors that led in or out of the large room. Each looking spectacularly the same. Then it occurred to me...

"Kyle... What door did we come in?" I fearfully asked.

He peeled his attention from the wall and looked at me before scrunching his eyebrows.

"It's that one isn't it?" He said pointing to the door across from us.

"I thought it was that one," I said pointing to door on our left.

He sat in silence for moment before I came to a conclusion.

"Let me see the map," I said holding my hand out.

"I'm pretty sure it was that one," he said nervously.

"Kyle the map," I said again.

When he tried to change the subject again but I snatched the piece of paper from him and gasped looking at the scribbles before me. What even was this? I looked down at the corner seeing the name "Derek K." Written poorly with pen.

"Derek...." I mumbled, "we're going off of what Derek wrote!"

Derek was one of Kyle's annoying stoner friends that's never sober enough to tie his own damn shoes. Kyle knew that if I was aware it was his reference to exploring the catacombs I would have rejected the offer not trusting a word that came from his mouth.

"I didn't want you to worry!" Kyle whined.

"Well now I'm worried and pissed! We're lost and the only help we have is some scribbles that Derek wrote when he was most likely drunk," I placed a hand on my hip.

"We're not lost," he protested.

"Then where are we?" I sassed him.

"The exits this way lets go," he said somewhat confident.

I groaned as I hurried to catch up to him. We started down the hallway made of bones and I couldn't tell if they were familiar to me or not. Everything down here looked the exact same to me. I prayed that we were heading back the way we came and not deeper into this mess that I happily made.

Hey everyone hope you like the whole catacomb thing let me know in the comments if you would adventure into them ;)

>>>don't be a silent reader<<<
VOTE
COMMENT
AND
FOLLOW:)