Part Twenty-Four

Dragon Eye stared at me, expectant. I could hardly breathe. "H-how do you know about the pieces?" 

He smirked, and paced back and forth, each step echoing. "Don't forget I, also, was taught the lore of Kung Fu." He stopped and stared at me. "But I was not taught about the six pieces of five. Surely you would know?" He leaned closer. "You are the leader of the great and powerful Furious Five, after all . . ." his eyes shone with something that almost looked like pride, "the most fierce and merciless warriors the world has ever seen!" I closed my eyes and allowed my brother's praise to wash over me, memories of crowds cheering for us whirling through my mind. A slap to my face brought me back to reality. 

"You haven't answered my question, Skylar." His jade iris seemed to glow in the dimly-lit room as he repeated his question, speaking as if I were a small child needing something to be explained to me. "What is the significance of the six pieces of five?"

"Why do you want to know?" My breath shook. "You - you have a massive army that you've built for yourself, you nearly killed me, and you destroyed the trust between me and my friends. What more do you want?"

"So, he's just a friend now?" 

"Don't make this about him," I spat.

There was an evil gleam in his eyes. "He told me everything, Skylar." He began to pace again. "All the history. All but the significance of the six pieces of five." 

I sat straighter, narrowing my eyes. "Well, I'm not going to tell you, either!"

"Are you sure, dear sister?" Dragon Eye gazed at me, tilting his head to one side as a sinister smile came across his face. "I think you'd like to see this." As he crouched beside me to undo my chains, he looked up at me and warned, "If you want to live, don't try and fight."

"What happens if I do?" I challenged.

Dragon Eye glared as he yanked me to my feet. "Then there will be not-so-unnecessary consequences."

He kept hold of my left wrist as he led me down a dark staircase. 

"Where are you taking me?" I asked.

He just kept walking at a brisk pace. 

"I asked you a question, you dog!"

"Shut up!" Dragon Eye roared as he grabbed me by the neck and slammed me against the brick wall. I seethed with rage as he hissed, "If you want to live, you'll do as you're told. Understand?" He stared into my eyes a second longer before releasing his grip and forcibly yanking me away. 

"I can kill you," I hissed.

Dragon Eye laughed disbelievingly. "What, when you've failed twice?"

"You've failed to kill me," I reminded him. 

Dragon Eye stopped then, glancing behind him to look at me. "No. I didn't fail because I am simply waiting."

"For what?" I spat.

He laughed again. "If only you knew, dear sister."

"I'll never consider you to be my brother," I snarled. 

"As I will never consider you to be my sister," he responded, stopping in front of a large, black door with three locks. 

The finality of our statements suddenly shook me to my core. Dragon Eye and I had always shared mutual hatred for one another, but it had never gone to the extent of denying our blood relations. I had been robbed of family my entire life: first my parents, then my brother, and finally the one I loved who betrayed me without so much as a single blink. I realised that Dragon Eye was the only family I had left besides Sifu, our adopted father; as horrible a realisation it was to have.