Part Twenty

Before us lay a wide hollow filled with soft sand. Massive trees encircled the hollow, providing a barrier from the outside world with the canopy of leaves crisscrossing together high above, letting in small shafts of sunlight. Dens made of sticks and mud were arranged in an arc around the hollow, all around the same size. At the far end of the hollow stood two large boulders covered in moss, providing a shady shelter underneath. At the very top of the two boulders was a strange structure embedded in the tree above. 

"What's that?" I asked Kai, pointing to the structure. 

Kai followed my gaze before he replied, "That's Scar's den. He's our leader." As Kai started to walk away, Lawrence called, "Wait!" Kai turned around and looked at Lawrence expectantly.

"Our?" Lawrence said.

Kai stared at Lawrence. "Did you think I would be alone here? There's a whole bunch of us." Beckoning to us, he began to lead us around the hollow. A small sigh escaped his mouth before he began to speak.  "Scar was abandoned by his parents when he was only twelve. He walked for miles and miles. He was alone. He had no-one to turn to for help. But that was before they took him in. He rose through the ranks and emerged as our leader. And that's how it's been ever since." Kai kept his gaze fixed on the large boulders at the other end of the hollow. 

"Have you always been here?" I asked. Kai turned to me with a steely look in his eyes. "Why is that any of your business?" I opened my mouth to reply, but no sound emerged. Kai leaned closer and snarled, "Keep to yourself. I don't want to hear any more questions from any of you. Now follow me." Turning, he stalked off to the boulders, calling, "Scar! We've got them."

I exchanged a look with Violet before we went across to where Kai was standing. A flicker of movement came from inside the structure at the top of the boulders. Suddenly, a figure leaped down from the structure and landed in front of us. The figure stood. His brown eyes scanned us before he slowly nodded. I noticed there was a jagged scar that lined his jaw. So that's why they call him Scar.

"So! This is the infamous Furious Five!" Scar said, recognition flooding his gaze. 

We all nodded carefully, studying Scar. For all we knew, he could be another one of Dragon Eye's cronies, like Orion.

Scar sighed and studied us. "Do you ever get the feeling the whole world's against you?" he asked. Silence filled the air. I swallowed and exchanged a small glance with Matthew.

"Three questions," Scar said, coming forward. As he asked each one, he lifted a finger. "Where did you come from . . . where are you going . . . how can I profit." He looked around at us added, "Don't all answer at once."

I looked over at my comrades, pressing my lips together. They looked back at me, each of us exchanging words with only our eyes. Then, I forced myself to meet Scar's eyes. "We're heading for the mountains," I told him. "Looking for the Jade Valley."

Scoffs and laughter filled the air around us. Scar joined in with his own snort of contempt and replied savagely, "You're looking for a wasteland,  you mean." My eyes widened as I exchanged a look with Lawrence. What does he know that we don't?

"Second question," Scar said. "Where, did you come from."

"That's our business," Mark retorted bravely.

"Is it, now?" Scar replied, coming forward so he stood nose to nose with Mark. "I think it'd be best if you told me. Told us," he added, gesturing to the people who had appeared from their makeshift huts. "We have no secrets here."

"We aren't from here," Mark replied carefully, his tone threatening. 

"Feisty one, aren't you?" Scar commented. Meeting Mark's eyes, he leaned close to his ear and hissed, "You'll tell me. Now."