Part One

Inner peace . . .

Sifu was motionless, balanced on the tip of his staff. He was meditating in the Cave of Swimmers, not too far from the Jade Palace. His silent meditation was broken by thoughts. Memories.

Sifu stared at the figure standing at the entrance to the Hall of Warriors. "Dragon Eye," he breathed. He felt himself shaking. He had had no idea that his son was capable of the things he had accomplished tonight; nor had he predicted the force of anger that would result from him not receiving the Dragon Scroll. His master, Oogoway stood just behind Sifu, watching Dragon Eye with a calm look on his face.

"Sifu." His master's breath stirred Sifu from his fear-filled trance. "You must destroy him. You have no choice."

Sifu felt the breath go from his lungs. Destroy my son? The one I love so much? Dragon Eye was racing toward them with a roar. I can't.

His son came closer and closer. "Sifu!" Oogoway yelled. "Attack now! Before it's too late!"

Sifu stayed frozen in place, watching the rage on his son's face. His single jade-green eye glowed in the dimness of the hall, and he leaped upwards. "That scroll is mine!" he screeched. Sifu's eyes widened. From then on, the world moved in slow-motion: Oogoway met Dragon Eye's leap with a sharp shove in the chest. He pressed on five positions on the young warrior's body before they both dropped to the ground.

Sifu's breath came in pants as he dropped to his knees and crawled to his paralyzed son. He took his ice-cold hand and whispered, "My son . . ."

He did not react when the officers from Chorgum Prison came to take his son away; nor when Oogoway gently guided him away to his dorm.

"One part of the prophecy has been fulfilled," Oogoway murmured to him. "It is your job to fulfill the second."

"Only the stolen generation can save the people from what is to come," Sifu whispered. Sudden anger came upon him, and he began to yell at his master. "How am I supposed to fulfill the second part of the prophecy? Everything went wrong with Dragon Eye!"

"That was fate," Oogoway whispered. "It was meant to happen." A new strength rose within the old warrior's voice. "I know much more than you do. I know you are strong enough to get past this and find the meaning of the other half of the prophecy." His eyes glowed with wisdom. "They will come to you," he whispered. "They will right everything that has gone wrong tonight. They will save us."

Sifu jolted and with a gasp, he fell from his staff into the icy-cold water of the pool below him.

"Bad memories?"

Sifu jumped as he heard his master's voice. He slowly rose from the water and turned to face him. "How can you be so sure about the stolen generation?" he whispered. "How can you know so much?"

Oogoway smiled and walked across the stones to meet him. "My dear friend, I know what has been and what is to come." He blinked and slowly drew in a breath. "I believe in you," he murmured, placing a hand on Sifu's shoulder. "You just need to believe in yourself." His gaze grew intense. "Promise me, Sifu. Promise me you will believe."

Sifu was lost for words. "I . . . I will, try, Master."

Oogoway nodded. "Mmm, good," he murmured. "Have a good night." Sifu stood there, watching as the old man tottered away to the Jade Palace. He lifted his head to the stars.

Spirits of the masters, help me to fulfill the prophecy. Help me to be strong. He sighed. "Help me find the stolen generation."