Chapter Sixteen: Blood Does Not Equal Family.

Start from the beginning

'Why?' Was the message he opted to send.

A second later he got a reply, 'When the hell did I start answering to you? You'll get in the car I sent because I told you so. Give the Delacroix boy some bullshit excuse.'

"Everything okay?" Dylan asked looking down at him with curious eyes.

Max had totally forgotten that Dylan was still there. He gripped the phone in his hands tightly. "I'm fine. I have to go soon." He said as he reluctantly stood up and put his shoes on.

"Go? Go where? You haven't had breakfast yet. At least sit with everyone-"

"Why?" Max asked as he stopped and looked at Dylan. "So we can all pretend to get along? I have business to attend to. Go and play nice with each other without me."

"Play nice?" Dylan asked, straining his voice. He looked like he was trying to keep himself calm. "Do you think that's what I've been doing? I actually care about you-"

"Stop." Max demanded,

"No." Dylan said firing back. He wasn't backing down. "You stop and listen to me. I'm getting real sick of your act. Trying to keep yourself together by keeping everyone away is only going to break you faster, don't you understand that?"

"Don't you understand I'm perfectly fine with how everything is? I don't need you to worry about me. I can take care of myself."

"Obviously." He said with a scoff. "High school drop-out . Must be nice to have so much going for yourself." The sarcasm was dripping out of his voice.

Max shook his head in anger. "Shut the hell up. School is a waste of time for me. I'm already short on hours in the day as is."

"Are you really that stupid or just oblivious to how the real world works? You should be in school. Learning with the rest of the kids your age. Joining after school activities and hanging out with friends. Not sleeping around."

Max rubbed his head softly. He felt like he was getting a headache even talking with Dylan. He was tired of having the same talk with him every time. It was like Dylan was incapable of having a regular conversation without bringing up the fact that he sleeps with people for money. He hated being reminded that he was just an object for people who bought him. He wouldn't have to sell himself if his uncle would just let him live his life. Dylan made it seem like having sex with random people was something he strived for every morning with a big smile on his face. What normal sixteen year old boy would?

"Maybe I am stupid, but the things I do have a reason behind them." Max said walking past him as he bumped his shoulder roughly.

Dylan didn't run after him or try to talk again. Max went in further into the home to look for Nico. He was trying to calm down but it wasn't easy. Dylan knew how to get under his skin every time.

He wasn't only angry at Dylan, if he was being honest. He also was angry at himself. Angry that he didn't have the strength to fight back against his uncle and take back his sister. Angry that he didn't have the courage to ask for Nico's help. Angry that he didn't even have time to go to a regular high school, which was something he secretly wanted. He was furious that he had to sell himself off to random people in shitty motels and in alleyways all for the mistake of his parents that he had to pay.