Chapter 4 - Butterflies

Start from the beginning

~

On Friday yet again, Will wasn't there. I was starting to grow anxious as to what could have happened, but decided to push it to the back of mind and get on with things. Especially as there were only ten minutes left of our last lecture of the week.

Joel was drawing silly pictures on his notepad of the nerdy lecturer, and passing them to me, as we giggled in the back left hand corner of the theatre. All that did though was remind me of Monday when I'd met Will, who had commented on my silly scribbles. Yet again, I was obsessing. Get over it Miranda.

I finally allowed myself to become distracted by Joel who I was certain was flirting with me, bringing about that slight tickle of butterflies at the very pit of my stomach. I looked up at the clock just as the lecturer made an announcement.

"Ok kids, class dismissed. Have a great weekend. And congratulations on making it through your first week of college! See you all next week." Hooray.

"Well done Miranda, you made it through the first week without wanting to kill yourself from boredom, after having to listen to this poor old lonely man ramble on mostly about his boring life." I giggled, at the lecturer's expense. "Maybe if he'd gotten married and had kids he wouldn't be so boring." I giggled again. His comment had, regrettably, reminded me of Will's outburst at the guy on Monday when I'd met him...Argh! I just couldn't get him off of my mind even if I had tried! It was becoming tremendously frustrating.

But hold on; how did Joel know that he had never been married nor had kids? I tuned out most of what the lecturer had told us but not enough to know that he didn't mention anything about his personal life, to that extent. It was a little strange, but I was too distracted to think much more of it at that point.

"So, as a reward, I think you deserve to be taken to dinner and shown the appreciation that you made it through in one piece, what do you say?" He asked with the most gorgeous grin planted across those beautiful lips of his, distracting me even more so.

"Why not, your shout I assume? Seeing as I've worked so hard." I asked, maintaining a cheeky smirk, whilst picking up my bag and standing to leave.

"Of course. I am, after all, a true gentleman." He said sarcastically as we both made our way out of the theatre giggling.

We walked to Joel's car which was parked in the onsite parking lot right outside of the building. "So, where are you taking me?" I asked as I hopped into his black shiny brand-new-looking Mazda RX8. I didn't feel the least bit uncomfortable around Joel and trusted the guy enough to get into his dangerous beast of a car. But how could I not? He was always so friendly and cheery, and had big genuine puppy dog eyes. My vibes only backed me up on this.

"Main Street, there's a bunch of nice restaurant's there. Plus it's like two minutes from my place, I can show you after if you want?" He asked with a slight grin pulling at the sides of his perfect mouth, excitement written all over his face.

"Sounds good." I smiled in return, just as those butterflies threatened my stomach again. I was getting them a lot lately. Anyone would think that I would have developed a stomach ulcer from them by now, it was that absurd.

He took me to a nice Italian place on the busy stretch of the main road. I ordered a vegetarian lasagne and a glass of white wine. What the hell, it was Friday night after all; time to relax and let go of some inhibitions. We chatted about life in general and I mentioned to him about Summer and how she was eager to throw me a house warming party. He also told me a bit about his brother and his parents, who owned their own business; something to do with international political affairs.

Once we had finished, we gathered ourselves and walked up to the counter to pay. I got my purse out as I was courteously interrupted, "There's no way I'm letting you pay. I told you I'd take you out so it's my shout." He said with a cheeky grin showing those gorgeous dimples of his. He really was just too perfect.