Chapter 4 - Butterflies

Start from the beginning

Where was he today? I had pondered on this question numerous times now. I wondered if his no-show had something to do with what had happened last night. That was a bit of a ridiculous assumption, but I couldn't help but think it. I couldn't even call or text him to see what had happened; I didn't even have his number yet. Ok, I was starting to sound like a total stalker. What had gotten into me? I had never been this obsessed over a guy I'd only met just a few days before!

Suddenly I felt the presence of someone approaching my door, causing my heart to jump out of my chest for just a moment. Could it be Will? I shook my head at the stupidity of that possibility. Yet somehow my vibes were blocked from my anxiousness and I couldn't tell who it was. My vibes were often clouded when I was either stressed, uneasy, or excited.

[KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK.]

I made my way to the door and opened it somewhat cautiously.

"Surprise!" Summer yelled, bursting her way through.

"Oh! Hey Sum, uh, what a nice surprise..." I trailed off, as she butt in.

"Geez, don't look so disappointed. Who were you expecting? Some cute boy or something?" She giggled, as she skipped around the apartment, giving herself a tour. She knew me way too well.

"Nice place! Needs a bit of decorating but overall it's beautiful. All modern and...Oh. Em. Gee. Is that a spa?" Summer yelled from inside of the main bathroom. "Miranda, you totally have to have a housewarming and invite those cute boys you told me about!"

Summer tended to get carried away with just about everything, especially if it involved the male species. I loved her to bits but sometimes her energy was a little too vast, particularly when she was oblivious to my bad moods.

"You know what Summer, that sounds like a pretty cool idea. Maybe in a few weeks once I've made a few more friends that I can invite, you know?" I replied, forcing enthusiasm, knowing too well that I was in no social status to throw some extravagant party just yet.

"Awesome! I'll help you plan it babe. Just let me know when you're thinking of doing it." Summer smiled back. Great.

"So, I'm going to take you out to dinner tonight, you look like you need to relax. Although you've only been a college bum for what, three days now?" She mocked, studying me from head to toe, rolling her eyes at my expense. She grabbed my bag off of the bench and handed it to me, prompting me to drag my feet over towards her to take it, giggling together at my pathetic state.

We ate at a small authentic Chinese restaurant just around the corner from my place, in China Town. Summer took the opportunity to tell me all about some guy she'd met on the weekend, how hot he was, and how she was planning to catch up with him again this weekend. You know, the usual boy talk that Summer was infamous for.

After dinner I hugged her goodbye and made my way back upstairs, threw on my PJs and hopped straight into bed. My last thoughts before falling asleep were yet again consumed by Will, pondering in hope that I'd see him tomorrow. I was constantly obsessing over it and that had bugged me deeply. But the butterflies somewhat calmed and soothed my stresses, instigating yet another deep dreamless slumber.

~

Thursday was a pretty similar day to yesterday. Once again, Will was a no show, and I was really letting it devour my sanity. I wasn't my usual friendly self around Joel, despite his genuine nature, cute dimples and bright green eyes that had helped to take my mind off of him to some extent. After classes I again went straight home to wallow on the couch and play over and over in my mind the events of the week like a monotonous movie on repeat, before finally heading to bed for yet another early night's sleep.