Chapter 27 Tiles With Red

Moments and moments were passing by as Alex and I made our way back to the parking lots in Neptune High. I told Alex that Laura and Nick had taken my car to go on to the party and all, but the truth is they hadn’t left the time. I just wanted to be with Alex. For the first time, I wanted it to be without Winnie.

                I felt warm and comfortable with Alex even when we walked in silence. His smile just kept my mind occupied.

                “So I haven’t talked to Harvey yet…” Alex started to talk while we walked. “You know, ever since Winnie’s birthday. I don’t think he wants to talk to me either.”

                “I see.” I looked at him. “Of course, I had a word with him when I took him home.”

                “I still couldn’t bring my curiosity to rest. I’m dying to know.”

                “Trust me, Alex.” I said and paused. “You don’t wanna know.”

                “Okay.” He said and stopped walking because we reached to his truck. “I’m sorry. I just wanted to know if it’s that bad.”

                “It’s bad.” I said. I guess that didn’t settle Alex at all. “But I understand how he felt.”

                “I got the impression that he loves Winnie. I mean, I saw it in him back at the party when he confessed.”

                “He does.” I reassured him, and he smiled a bit. “He just screwed up… in the worst way.”

                “That’s why I wanted to see him now.” Alex held my arm and walked me on the other side of the car. He opened the door and offered me in.

                “Thank you.” I smiled and did a small sway to touch his fingers, but he walked back to his side.

                “All right.” He got in the car and fastened his seatbelt as I did, too. “I hope I recall his address. I got to hang out with him the first week of class.”

                “You’re really amazing, Alex.” I said as he started the engine.

                He turned to me and smiled. “I’m not amazing.” He kidded.

                “I promise, you are, Alex!”

                “I admit, I may seem like it.” He laughed. “But it’s not because of me.”

                “Not you?”

                “I try to be amazing for the people I like.” He continued. “For example, for people like you.”

                “Oh.” I blushed. I was pretty sure he saw my face turn red because he laughed at me, but he didn’t say anything. He just started driving. “What’s so funny?”

                “You can be really adorable sometimes, Liyah.” He said and faced me. I couldn’t resist but blush again as he smiled at me.

                “You know, we’re gonna die if you keep doing that.” I kidded. “Face the driveway.”

                “I’m sorry.” We both laughed as he focused on driving.

                We got really silent over the driveway. It wasn’t with anything we said. It just felt like a good time to be quiet and feel each other out. I swung my head to him every now and then to see if he was bored with me, but he was smiling the whole time which got me to smile, too. I just watched as we force through the wind that blew our hairs away. It was chilly but warm in the inside.