Chapter 24 The Necklace and Promise

Dad stayed with me at home until mom arrived. It was about six o’clock in the evening when we heard mom’s car drive to the parking. Dad and I were just sitting in the couch, watching TV. I had no clue what the show that we were watching was about, but I just used that time to bond with dad. Of course, we talked while watching. He had a lot to ask and catch up to, and I let him.

                “Honey, you here?” Mom came in from the front door.

                “Sandra, I’m here.” Dad walked and revealed himself to mom.

                “Oh, I thought you canceled.” Mom walked to him. I walked and stopped beside dad, and mom saw us as she took off her coat. She seemed to be astonished about to see me with dad. “You two were here all along?”

                “Yeah, we were watching TV until just now.” I said, and dad looked at me. Mom continued to be surprised.

                “Huh.” She reacted with relief. “You two getting along?”

                “We’re fine.” Dad said and patted my shoulder again. I became shy and looked down to the floor.

                “That’s good.” Mom got settled up.

                “We made dinner.” Dad said. “In case you’re hungry.”

                “Oh.” Mom and swung her head to our dining table and saw that small covered plate. “Seems like you two had a fun time.”

                “It was fine.” I crossed my arms. “Dad was a nice cook. Guys aren’t normally good with cooking.”

                “She’s a sexist.” Mom kidded. “She has PMS.”

                “Yeah, I figured.” Dad chuckled. “She kept whining about how guys are all the same.”

                “What?” I reacted and faced dad. Of course, I just tried to sound humorous. “I am not.”

                “Oh, she’s in denial.” Dad kidded, and I laughed. “She’s defending men now. I think she has a crush on a guy at school.”

                “Dad!” I blushed because I haven’t told mom about Alex. “Stop it!”

                “I’m sorry.” He laughed and patted my shoulder. “I was just kidding.”

                “I don’t think Liyah has a crush. She’d rather throw diamonds on guys’ faces than to have to wear one for a wedding.”

                Dad looked at me and smiled. He probably realized that I haven’t told mom about Alex. I felt a bit ashamed, but it was fine.

                “She’s right.” I denied. “Having a crush is just a waste of time.”

                “Okay?” Dad teased.

                I looked into dad’s teasing face, and he just continued. I was a little shy to show that caught-in-action look. He sighed and smiled after seeing enough and started to walk to mom.

                “It’s getting a little late.” He said. “I was just waiting for you so Liyah’d be with someone.”

                “You’re leaving?” I asked.