Chapter 1

I looked around the almost empty room. The pictures that once graced the walls have been removed. The decorations have been stripped and there was nothing left but a bed and a dresser. I could see no signs that this once was the room of a young girl. Only reminder that I have of spending my entire life in this room are the ones that solely exist in my memory. Taking one last glance around my  room that will no longer be mine I picked up the last box and made my way out the door down stairs, out the front door and to the car. 

"Is that everything?"My mom asked as she took the box from my arms and placed it neatly in the trunk as only she could do. Before answering her question I took the time to admire her beauty. My mom is 5'7 , roughly 180 pounds with hips that would cause any man to loose his train of thought. Her bronze skin glowed under the sunlight as her curly hair framed her oval shaped face perfectly. I looked into her eyes and for a moment I thought I saw tears but she quickly wiped them away.

"Yes ma'am that was the last box" I said as I walked to the passenger side of the white dodge mini van my man had rented for the occasion. Once I was strapped in and situated I let my thoughts cloud my mind. I can't believe that I am actually going to my dream college. Wait I think I should introduce myself before I continue.

My name is DeLondon Sparkle Jordan. I know the name is kind of unusual. Even if I wanted to tell  you why my mom decided to add De on to the name London I couldn't because I don't even know. However I do know that I love my name. I'm eighteen years of age and I am a proud African American. I mean I'm sure I'm not a 100% black but you get my point. As I was saying I am a proud African American especially since so many people want to be foreign now in days. I love my peanut butter skin tone. I stand at approximately 5'8 and that is also something I embrace. Now my weight is not up for discussion just no I'm not a twig and I have curves not to tut my own horn but my hips put my mom's  hips to shame.Don't tell her I said that. My stomach could be a bit more flatter but I'll work on that. I have black curly hair that stops at my shoulders but when its straighten it stop at the middle of my back. However your girl loves her some Brazilian , so as of now I'm rocking Brazilian body wave inches 22, 24, 26, and 28. 

Today is Freshman move in day at FAMU. Told you I was a proud African American. Because I'm from Atlanta Georgia we had a bit of drive ahead of us. I leaned back into my seat, put my ear buds in my ear and let the beautiful melody of Solange 'A seat at the table' play in my ear. Ya'll are really sleep on this album. Its way better than her sister's. By the time the third song came on I was sleep dreaming about my new found freedom.

"Lon" snores. "London" 

"Mmm let me get a number 4, extra fries" 

"Delondon wake your ass up" My mom said in a aggressive tone while shaking me.

"Ughhhhh I'm up, I'm up" I said sitting up and stretching. I looked out of the window and noticed we were here. I squealed and jumped out of the car. "Oh my gosh, this actually happening"I stated while looking around at all the other freshmen moving in and biding their goodbyes to their family. I grabbed my mom by the arm pulling her towards my freshman dorm "Come on mom".

"Girl wait we can't leave your brother" She stated with a small chuckle. "Deon come on" she yelled out to him and just like that my 14 year old brother exited the car. 

We all walked into the building and started to search for the check in station. Once we found it we walked over to desk and got in line. Luckily the line wasn't that long so it was only a 10 minute wait.

"Name" a girl in a orange shirt with the words FAMU printed across the front asked. She was a skinny light skin girl. Her hair were in big box braids that flowed down her back. A small mug was placed across her face. Guess somebody didn't want to be here today. "DeLondon Jordan" I said with a bright smile. The mug on her face visibly deepened when she heard my name. "bitch" I thought to myself. She was killing my vibe. I watched her look through a stack of paper then finally she handed me a envelope with a key in it. "Sign here" she said with as little excitement as possible. Yup definitely killing my vibe. I signed my name and quickly walked away ready to move in.

My mom, brother and I brought all of my things inside the building. We were now unpacking my stuff when a pretty brown skin girl with the same shirt on as the girl who checked me in walked in. "Hi my name is Danielle, everyone calls be Dani and I'm the head CA(Community Assistant) of this building" she said while walking towards my mom with her hand out reached.

"Ummmm i'm the student" I said while pointing to myself.

"Oh my gosh I'm so sorry your mom looks so young I assumed you guys where roommates" Dani rambled on as she quickly turned in the opposite direction so she could come shake my hand. Oh Lord now my mom is about to get the big head because she called her young. I mentally face palmed myself.  "Its nice to meet you Dani" I said shaking her hand.

I continued to unpack and after about an hour and half I was officially done. "My baby is not a baby anymore" My mom said as she looked around my now unpacked room. "Aww mom, I'm going to miss you too" I said hugging her and letting some tears fall. I've never been away from my mom more than a week. I walked my mom and brother out to the car, where all three of continued to say our goodbyes. "I'm really going to miss you sis" Deon said trying to hold back tears. Yet they still managed to roll down his chubby face. My little brother was just that. Deon stood at about 5'5 and he was chubby not to fat but chubby like a baby. "Aww De, i'm going to miss you too baby brother" I said while embracing him with a tight firm hug that still felt very loving. I hugged my mom once more. I watched as my mother and brother got into the white dodge mini van. They smiled at me through the window as I watched them drive off. The further they drove the smaller and smaller the car appeared to be. I looked for the car until it was completely out of sight. "This is it" I thought to myself. I'm really on my own. I didn't know whether i should cry or rejoice

I finally gathered myself up enough to go back into the building, hopefully my roommate was here. As I was getting ready to turn around towards the building, this tall brown skin dude caught my eye. He looked to be about 6'5, he was very muscular and looked like he played some type of sport. Even though we were probably about 1000 ft away from each other I could  tell that he was one fine motherfucker. I starred at him for a while longer as he walked along side of a light skinned dude. Just as I got ready to turn away he looked at me. My eyes slightly widened from being caught. At that moment a smile broke  onto his face and he waved at me. Being the asshole I am I rolled my eyes and turned to go back into my dorm. Once I got to my room I realized my roommate still wasn't here. "Guess I'll go to the mall or something"I said to myself. I ordered myself an Lyft. Then I grabbed my wallet and my dorm key and I was off to the mall. The whole ride there my roommate was on my mind. I hope we get along.