Hawkscar looked thoughtful for a moment. "He's merely jealous," he concluded. "Just think about it. His mentor is a cat that most warriors are afraid to cross, I can't even imagine how hard he's got it. And you know, Spottedpaw, it's no secret that I've treated you more kindly than the other mentors and their apprentices." He paused again and drew a paw over his whiskers. "It's only natural for him to be jealous. He'll forget all about it with time."

     "If you say so," Spottedpaw murmured hesitantly.

     "Are you finally ready to pay attention to the lesson? You missed some important parts of the code when you started daydreaming, you know." Hawkscar nudged her playfully.

    "Yes, Hawkscar," the molly squeaked in surprise.

     "Where was I last? Oh yes. Never show mercy to your enemies, and never show your fear. As much as I hate to say it, not everyone in the Gorge is willing to turn a blind eye—I'm sure you know just as well as I do, Spottedpaw. If we're in a battle, it is important to remember this. If any cat sees you falter and Deadeye hears about it, you will no doubt face repercussions. To be loyal to the Gorge is to be loyal to Deadeye above all else; that includes your kin and friends. Are you following?"

     Spottedpaw nodded quickly. "It makes sense, kind of," she mumbled. "My parents have never really been close with me or any of my littermates. It feels the same way with almost every cat, too."

     "That's correct. Most of us don't form close bonds with one another so that we can stay loyal to Deadeye with more ease," the cream tom nodded in approval. "There is one final part of the code that Deadeye requires us to follow. This is the most important part of the code, so make sure you're paying close attention." He waited and made sure his apprentice was at attention and carried on, though Spottedpaw thought he seemed pained by the words he spoke. "I understand that the elders tell you apprentices about what you know as StarClan. As far as any of you are concerned, those are tall tales. That was what Deadeye calls the old Clan faith, and any cat rumored to be holding onto the old faith will be permanently relieved of duties under Deadeye's command."

     "Everyone acts like that StarClan talk is a joke," Spottedpaw commented softly. "Is it so serious?"

     "Yes." Her mentor's sharp tone startled her. Hawkscar cleared his throat awkwardly and continued at a normal tone. "That is the most important rule of the code. You must never let any cat here think otherwise, Spottedpaw. Is that understood?" The she-cat gave a hurried nod, to which her mentor swayed his tail in response. "Good. That'll conclude our lessons for the day. I'm sure you'll be happy to know that you'll be accompanying me on a border patrol when we return to the caves." Spottedpaw perked up when he told her the news and bounced ahead of him as they traveled back to their home.

     When they arrived at the camp it was slightly busier than usual. The warm sun had reminded her that greenleaf was nearing its end and she realized her campmates would be preparing for the rough seasons ahead. Hawkscar instructed her to eat before their patrol while he gathered those who would be accompanying them, and so she did. The scent of her brother washed over her as she ate her thrush; curiously, she looked up from her meal at Dustpaw. The mouse-furred tom was padding up to her slowly, his eyes glinting in the dark caverns.

     "How were your lessons?" he teased, disgust hinting at his voice. "I bet you were too busy hearing lessons for new apprentices that you didn't get any real training in."

     "Hawkscar said those lessons are just as important as any hunting or battle training we get!" Spottedpaw retorted as she bristled in defiance.

     "Hawkscar says," Dustpaw mocked. "You really believe everything he tells you, just like a mouse-brain. He just said that so you wouldn't feel bad about not getting true warrior training in."