Chapter 4

". . . similar to the Clans, but we cannot say the old titles unless it is a mentor speaking to their apprentice. Make sure you remember that. When there is a deputy in the Clans, we have a regent. When there is a medicine cat, we have a healer. Any cat in the Gorge caught uttering the old words are to be punished by the active regent. Show no mercy, show no fear. Where there is mercy, there is weakness within your heart. If there's weakness in your heart, you are a liability to the Gorge. Absolutely do not . . ." Hawkscar droned on about the codes of the Gorge and Spottedpaw let her mind be carried away by the sounds of the forest around her. The morning sun was dappling the leaves around them and warmed her pelt; off in the distance she could see the shimmer of the rushing river that bordered the very edge of the Gorge territory. Songbirds chirped and sang in the trees around them. There was an occasional rustle in the branches as they flitted around the forestry with one another. Lucky birds, she thought to herself. At least they don't have to sit and listen to the same lesson, over and over. I bet they don't get freaky dreams like I do, either.

     "Spottedpaw." Her mentor's stern tone ripped Spottedpaw from her thoughts. "Have you listened to a single word I've said today?" The tom gave a soft sigh when she only ducked her head. "What was the last thing I said?"

     "Um . . . don't be merciful, and don't be fearful?" Spottedpaw lifted her head slowly and winced inwardly when she saw disappointment flash in his eyes.

     "Wrong." Hawkscar fell quiet for a few moments, his gaze locked on his apprentice. He finally let out an exasperated sigh and spoke again. "You've been distracted for days, Spottedpaw. What's gotten into you?"

     "N-Nothing!" she retorted hastily. It didn't take long for her to realize she had responded far too quickly, so she added, "You've just been giving me the same lesson for days now, Hawkscar. It's so boring. I wanna hunt and be trained how to fight, just like the other apprentices." Spottedpaw pawed softly at the loose leaves by her paws. After what had happened with her siblings she was hesitant to tell anyone about the dream she'd had. Not only did she not want to end up in trouble again, but she knew they would laugh at her and say she'd been listening to the elders' tall tales too much. It felt so real, she mused. Though the dream gnawed at the back of her mind, it wasn't the only thing distracting her. Ever since she'd heard her siblings conspiring in their den she started noticing Dustpaw casting her sideways glances. He and Fernpaw were constantly whispering amongst each other, and it only stroked the flame that was her anxiety.

     For the first time in days, her mentor's eyes softened. With another, quieter sigh this time, he spoke. "The lessons about the code we uphold here in the Gorge are just as critical to your survival as any hunting technique or battle strategy. If you—or anyone, for that matter—is caught breaking our set of codes, Deadeye would have your hide. You must get this code engraved into your mind or your own life would be at risk." Though he didn't say it, Spottedpaw knew his livelihood relied on it just as much as her own.

     "It's not like he'd kill us though, right?" she whispered, though it took a few attempts to get the words out. The grim expression on Hawkscar's face told Spottedpaw everything she needed to know. She fixed her posture and mewed, "I promise I'll pay more attention to your lessons, Hawkscar." Happiness welled up inside her chest when she got an approving nod. She felt a newfound determination deep within herself. "I'll be the best warrior in the Gorge! And I'll especially be better than lousy Dustpaw." The elder tom burst into laughter at the added outburst.

     "What's that all about?" Hawkscar purred in amusement, nearly choking on his laughter. "Are you having a sibling quarrel, Spottedpaw?"

     "He's been nothing but rude to me since you scolded us," Spottedpaw admitted. "I don't know why he's so mean. He keeps giving me dirty looks, and Fernpaw too!"