Chapter 1

Months had passed since Jess had been taken to the unbelievable society, and she began to become okay with it. She mostly kept to herself, focusing on finishing her studies so she could get closer to finding out why she was brought here. Her bond with Mrs. Adaline became stronger, she was a mother figure to the young girl. The only mother figure she knew.

Families were hardly a thing there, no couples cared to have kids. There were people who took care of the children, like Mrs. Adaline. Everyone had a different job, some highly respected, like The Control, and some not respected, like Cleaners. What job you got depended on a test all graduating kids took. It was a very mental test, testing fears and brain power, but it also had physical attributions, like strength and agility. Jess was beginning to learn the rules of the society and how it worked.

"Knock knock, I'm coming in!" Mrs. Adaline said, in a playful, sing-song tone. Jess looked up from her books, sighing.

"Hello Mrs. Adaline. Do you need anything?" Jess said, looking back down and writing the equation for the problem. Mrs. Adaline sat on her bed, and took the pencil out of Jess' hand.

"I want to show you something incredible." She said, pulling Jess out of the bed. Jess pulled her arm back, and smiled a tiny grin at the excited woman.

"I would love too, ma'am, but I have a lot of work to do and I need to st-"

"Nonsense, you study all day, you need a break."

"The rules state that no child under the age of 17 may be outside their room during study hours, and you know how The Control reacts when we don't follow the rules."

"Who said we were going to get caught? Now hush, dear, and just follow me." The older woman quickly walked out the door. Jess reluctantly sighed and followed, hiding her face from any crowd as she walked by them. Mrs. Adaline suddenly stopped, causing Jess to look up. There was a door, but it wasn't like the big, heavy metal doors that were everywhere else. It was clear, and you could see green grass outside of it, and a beautiful baby blue sky. Mrs. Adaline pulled out her key, unlocked the door, then walked through it.

Jess smiled when the cool windy breeze hit her face, and she breathed in the fresh air. She was so used to the chemical smelling oxygen, that the clean air took her by shock. This was the first time she had been outside since she came to the society.

"Mrs. Adaline, where are we?" Jess said, kneeling to the tiny patch of flowers, and picking one from the ground.

"I found this when I was helping the cleaners clean out a room of a lost member." She said, leaning against a tall tree.

"Wait, is this a way to leave? Could I get back home? Oh! I could find my mother and my father, if I can even remember what they looked like. Or what their names were. Or what my name was..." The girl trailed off, realizing she had no place to go if she left, no person to run too. Mrs. Adaline looked at her with sympathy.

"I'm sorry darling, but it's too dangerous to let you leave. I thought that maybe this would make you happy." She said, frowning down at the ground.

Jess looked again at the beauty of the place. She could see the sky almost covered in white clouds that resembled cotton balls, and the large trees that stretched up into what she could only assume to be the heavens, and the beautifully colored flowers that were scattered around the forest ground. She kicked a small rock down the path that probably stretched on for miles.

"It does make me happy, thank you Mrs. Adaline. I just wish I knew who I was." Jess muttered the last part.

"You will, Jess, just give it time."

"Thank you, this means the world to me."

"You're very welcome, dear. Now, let us go back before anyone suspects anything." She laughed, and walked Jess back into her room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N this is very short please forgive me wow 

                                                                 -Madebymanywords