Chapter 9: Lovehandles and Playful Courage

Sarah woke up disoriented but feeling light at the same time. She took a peek at her room, trying to remember where she was and why she was feeling happy. She felt the smile on her face even before she actually realized she was doing so the minute she opened her eyes. She pulled her sheets tight, planning to catch five more minutes of sleep when a note on her bedside table caught her eye.

She reached for it.

“Good morning J Miss me?

I miss you more,

so get up and join me for

breakfast you sleepyhead, hehe.

Swimming pool Sars, wearing my trunks now.

*____* “

Sarah remained motionless, looking at the ceiling. The note in her hand, on her chest. After awhile, she seemed to make up her mind. She pushed from the bed and dialed the hotel’s frontdesk.

I’ll get my revenge this time, you just wait Mr. John Lloyd Cruz.

Her eyes twinkled.

***

9.2

When he saw that Sarah was still sound asleep, he tiptoed in her room and left her a note. Swimmng was still a strenuous activity for her, but he could not resist teasing her. He actually was wearing a pair of shorts, and not the trunks that he claimed in his note.

“Oh, so you’re here alone?”

“Hmmm not exactly.” JohnLloyd didn’t know how to avoid giving too much information.

He had been sitting by himself beside the hotel’s swimming pool when this pretty girl approached her and started a conversation. She recognized him. She said she was a fan from Canada but was visiting China with friends.

“Ah, you’re with your family.”

JohnLloyd just smiled at her.

“D’you mind if I sit here while you wait for them?” She asked as she made herself comfortable in the reclining chair next to him. She spread her towel and lied down there in her red two-piece bikini and her long legs in all their glory.

“Will you have a show in Canada soon? You should, you have a lot of Filipino fans there.” She continued.

“There’s one next year, I think. I’m not yet sure of my sched.”

John Lloyd kept stealing glances at the entrance, afraid that Sarah would appear any minute now.

“It’s really great seeing you here. I’ve been a fan since A Very Special Love. You and Sarah look good together.”

He looked at her and smiled back when he heard Sarah’s name.

“I saw that more than a couple of times. Gosh! I almost scheduled a flight to the Philippines so I could watch it right away. Crazy, right?” She gave a tiny laugh. JohnLloyd felt amused also but for a different reason. He was smiling when he looked again at the doorway.

Sarah was standing there, in her white bathrobe. She looked at the girl beside him, then back at him. John Lloyd caught her eye and made an imperceptible shake of his head.

Sarah’s eyes furrowed.

“Tell me if i’m being a nuisance already. I’ll leave right away. No worries.” The girl who introduced herself as Katrina was speaking again.