Part 10

I took the bus to the closest stop they had to where we saw the wolf. To get to the top of the mountain would take about a day and I wanted to be there when the sun started to set. To be ready when the wolf might appear. It was a long road and with the sun beating down on me through the leaves it wasn't a easy journey to make. Luckily I had a lot of stamina from the karate lessons and of course Zanne's gruelling cheerleading practices. The first hour in the woods I was pretty nervous. Constantly on high alert for the wolf I suspected could jump out at me any second. I had the silver knife in my hand just for safety. But after a while I realized there was too much noise. The night I was here with Zanne, it was deathly quiet. That thing probably scared the animals away. So I figured that he probably only came out to protect the portal at sundown. Well, I hoped that that was the case.

The day was quickly moving on and by midday I was already half way up the mountain but I was beat, after about 4 hours in this sun you would be two, especially when walking uphill the entire time.. I decided to take a break. So I found a nice tree and there I sat eating some sandwiches that Aunt Mary had packed for me. There was also a lot of water and tinned foods. Probably enough to last me two weeks. The scene from here was absolutely breathtaking. The leaves were clouding the sky in various shades of green, all around me I could hear birds singing and a couple of metres down in front of me I saw a flower.

For some reason the flower looked different from all those surrounding it. It was almost like the few escaped sun rays were choosing that flower to shine on. I was still heaving a little from the strain put on my tired body but for some reason I used some of my energy to stand up and walk towards it. I bend down next to it and slowly let my fingers fly over the soft petals. At first glance it looked like a normal white flower, but at the close proximity I was with the flower now, I could see pink veins beneath the surface and the leaves sparkling like the sun would on water.

It was extremely beautiful but I didn't want to pick it. I didn't want to see it die. So instead of picking it I bend forward to take a long whiff. It smelled amazing. It smelled so sweet I closed my eyes. I felt a sharp pain going through my head and I opened my eyes. The pain was gone but something had happened to me. I felt completely refreshed. I wasn't tired at all. I wasn't hungry or thirsty. I look down at the flower in wonder. I was sure that this was a sign that I was on the right track. No ordinary flower that I know off can make you feel like this.

So I picked up my bag and with a new energy jumped in the air and started to spin in a circle laughing. I felt out of this world and with a hop in my step I started my way further up the mountain.

By the way the sun was situated I could tell that it was about 5 o'clock, the sun would start to set soon and then the wolf would come out. I was almost there, I had to be. It seems that the flower only gave you a little bit of extra energy because I was just as tired as I was when I took a break. Then I saw something in front of me. There was a large bush in my way but through the leaves I could see a blue light emanating so, curiously, I decided to take a closer look. I slowly crept forward and took a peek. It looked like this was the top of the mountain.

It was a small clearing with a few rocks scattered around and even a flower or two but none of them looked like the one I saw earlier. I looked a little further down the clearing and then I saw it! It looked like a big door with what I could only described as blue sparkling water that emanated a white glow. The door was open. I took a look up at the sky again. The sun was starting to go down, meaning the wolf would be making it's appearance very soon. Maybe if I run I could get through the door before the wolf appears I thought. It was now or never.

So I got my bag and stood up cautiously looking for any sign of the wolf. But before I could take another step I saw it! The wolf was coming in through the door. As soon as it was through, the door closed. Now there was nothing but rock. It looked like just another part of the mountain. Suddenly the wolf looked in my direction and I ducked. I still had the silver knife but I had no idea of whether any of those werewolf fairytales were even true.