14

My train of thought was broken when I heard a loud thud outside of my door. I lay still though, slowly contemplating whether I wanted to continue ignoring the world like it didn't exist or just suck it up.

It'd been a little over a week after my incident with Ethan. My little surprise was in fact- every girl's worst nightmare, my period. It was probably the most embarrassing experience I've ever been through in my entire life. I didn't hang around long, got straight out of the shower and demanded to be taken back to the school. I couldn't even look Ethan in the eyes but I had no choice but to allow him to bring me home. Since then, I'd been laying in the dark, wallowing in self pity.

"Skylar Nelson!" A stern voice called out, "Skylar Nelson, open this door right now!"

I furrowed my brows and quickly rushed out of bed. It took me a moment to regain my balance and blurred vision that had occurred when I jumped up so fast, but I soon made my way to the door, scowling when I saw the person on the opposite side.

"Finally! I thought you were dead or something." Emma yelled in my face, slipping past me into my room.

I groaned, slamming the door shut. "What's up? You look like you've seen a ghost."

Shaking my head, I scoffed a little. "Something like that." I muttered and flopped back down onto my bed, crawling back beneath the covers.

"Oh no, no you don't." Emma grabbed my leg before it disappeared beneath my quilt, dragging me to the edge of the bed. She was short and small, but she sure was strong. I huffed in defeat, smushing my face into the sheets. "Although I'm not actually a teacher that came up here to get you into trouble for not attending any classes for a whole week, I did actually hear that someone wants to see you."

Immediately I knew who it was that wanted to see me. Who else could it be? It was Mr Dolan.

"Mr Dolan says he wants to talk to you today. Something about your grades." She shrugged and I rolled onto my back, looking up at the ceiling. My cheeks flushed pink; I was still so embarrassed about last week. I don't think I could possibly face him again.

"I'm actually feeling a little sick," I lied, faking a cough.

She shot me an unimpressed look and folded her thin arms- they were so frail yet you could see her ever-so-subtle muscles.

I sighed and sat up, knowing fine well I couldn't trick her. Besides, I couldn't avoid attending classes forever. I couldn't avoid Mr Dolan forever. And to be honest, I didn't really want to either.

"Okay, okay. I'm getting up." I held up my hands in surrender. She looked like she could rip out my eyes at any second. Emma was a feisty little sod at times.

I headed straight to the bathroom and opened the door, walking inside before she stopped me. "What happened to you this week anyway?"

Stopping, I turned slightly to look at her and gave her a shrug. "I wasn't feeling good."

She raised her eyebrows and sat on my bed, looking away. I knew she didn't believe me but, she didn't ask anymore questions.

Thank god.

-

Throughout my first hour, which was English, Ethan honestly didn't pay me much attention. He greeted the class and began the lesson. Usually he would make up an excuse to speak to me or pick on me for an answer but, I got nothing. He would glance in my direction and send a small smile, but that's all.

When class came to a finish, I was half expecting him to just let me leave with the rest of the students. But then he grabbed my attention as I followed Emma toward the door.