Blast from the Past

The once great city of Senaliesse laid in ruins at their feet. The streets were cracked and sunken, as the trees that supported it lay dying beneath. There were no people. And the citadel, home of this world's Summer Court and Court of Stars was crumbling.

"What happened after I left?" Oriander asked Celestriun.

"After the Prince of Hearts took you away the Diamond Queen invaded. She sought dominion over the Summer Court. The citizens fought and died for the memory of their dead queen.

"Everyone?" She asked.

"Many of them perished. And after what happened to you, there was a belief that the Heart Tree was cursed with a plague from Titania. Those who remained left the Heart Tree."

There was a rumbling up ahead from the remains of the citadel.

"Apparently not everyone." Noctalium said.

The group reached for their weapons. The pixie looked back at Noctalium and scowled when she saw him already palming his sword. Without weapons, she picked a small rock. 

The group approached the citadel cautiously. The large structure was still partially intact, however the swaying of the dying tree beneath it was causing structural problems. Blocks and whole sections of walls had fallen. Up ahead there was another sound of blocks falling. 

The group continued to walk cautiously forward until the pixie couldn't stand it any longer. "I will cut you into tiny pieces if you don't come out right now!"

The group looked around at each other, stunned by the outburst. The pixie gave them a thumbs up.

There was movement in the shadows ahead before a tiny man walked out of the rubble. Oriander recognized him immediate. Memories from a past life came flooding back.

"Ser Al." She said between clenched teeth. Something primal grabbed ahold of her emotions and she charged the man, pinning him on the floor with her sword aimed directly at his throat.

The man was broken. He had dirt everywhere, and beneath the dirt there were numerous scars. When Oriander's eyes fell to his back, she could see the remnants of torn and tattered wings. He cowered beneath her blade, eyes squinting. 

The pixie flew up behind Oriander and pulled her hair back and away from the man. "Easy killer." she said. "It's my turn to be crazy right now." Oriander allowed herself to be pulled away.

"He poses us no threat." Celestriun said as Oriander put down her sword.

Ser Al stood up without dusting himself off. His eyes traveled between Oriander and the pixie. "How is this possible?" He said. 

"You betrayed me to the Diamond Queen!" Oriander screamed. "You allowed me to be an instrument of death for Titania. Tiandra died!" The memories brought with them painful scenes from a distant past.

"What the hell is going on?" Noctalium asked. 

"Yeah... what he said." Oriander added. "He looks just as confused as we are."

Celestriun came forward and cupped his hand around the side of Oriander's neck. With his other hand he extended it upward. "Behold," he said. "The death of the Summer Queen."

A light erupted from his hand and filled the dark space. The memories that were only moments before dormant in Oriander's mind came to life before them through the lights...