Zeus surprised Lexi by leaving his speech at that and taking his place next to Poseidon, who stood in front of Rhea's bier. Between the two, their bulky frames nearly blocked the body from Lexi's view, which she was grateful for.

"You are more radiant than the sun, Lexi," Hades said, drawing her back into the depths of his golden eyes.

"Your love is what fuels me," she offered as she gave his hand a squeeze.

Cronus cleared his throat, and Lexi caught a sentimental smile on his face before he switched to his stately posture. "Thank you, gathered guests for joining us today as we bear witness to this god and goddess who are entering into marriage," he began. "A ceremony such as this typically commences with a reading of a love poem written by one of our many gifted poets. Given that Hades is one of them, he has written a special piece for the occasion, which will be followed by something Lexi has written for him."

Hades' eyes had taken on a sheen as he reached out to Lexi's face, caressing a curl where it rested against her cheek. He drank her in, making her the sole object of his gaze, and Lexi's heart fluttered like a dozen birds had been released inside her chest.

"The days have never been more splendid

And the nights never so warm

Your brilliance lights my way

A light to chase away the storm

Now that you are here with me, eternity does not seem long enough

To you, Alexandra, I pledge my undying love

And I promise to always provide a horizon for you to rise above."

Lexi was grateful for the brevity of his sonnet. Moisture was already threatening to ruin the fine makeup Blythe had applied to her eyes, and she felt a lump swelling in her throat. No man could move her like Hades. Fearing she would not be able to repeat her own vows without blubbering, she hurried to deliver her message to him, although she felt it paled in comparison to his florid poetry.

"I was in the dark before you brought me into the light

I had been hungry until you offered me freshly baked bread smothered in butter

You showed me how to ride the waves when I had only been skimming the surface

There is no other who lifts me to the heights you do

And I feel my feet will never touch the ground again

I am eternally yours, Hades, body and soul."

A collective sigh erupted from the seats, but Lexi barely heard the sound. She was listening to her pounding heart as she stared into the face of her true love, and as Cronus finished the ceremony, giving Hades license to kiss his bride, all Lexi thought about was Hades' arms as they wrapped around her waist and his lips as they pressed against her mouth. In fact, she was so lost in the moment, she didn't notice Zeus taking Cronus' place until he cleared his throat. Apparently, his speech was not over.

"I would like to be the first to congratulate you both, and wish you a long, joyous partnership. With that said, I have an announcement of my own, and I wish to make it in front of this fine assembly."

Lexi had no idea what Zeus had on his mind, and Hades appeared just as bewildered, but they both obliged him while continuing to hold onto each other in a possessive embrace.

"Hades, I first want to address you," Zeus said. "I have been a terrible brother. I should have taken more interest in the underworld, treating it with reverence rather than condemning it and you with it. I ask now for your forgiveness, but I do not require it to pledge my support to you. I simply wish to put all the unpleasantness behind us and move forward in alliance."