Conquering That First Draft

There are a few things more frightening than staring at a blank page for the first time, even if you do have a vague idea of what you want to write about. But it could be that you were able to overcome that, and now you've begun that tumultuous journey towards completing your story. Whatever the case, writing a first draft isn't easy, let alone writing your very first draft. Thankfully however, it can be done and has been, millions of times. All the great novels we read, and that now grace our bookshelves, were all once first drafts. Most of which didn't even reach that stage without some hair-tugging and nail-biting.

There are so many areas which may hinder our progress, and even cause stumbling blocks in our path to turning our great idea into a completed first draft. We'll highlight four, with their respective solution, all in the hopes of being able to start, continue, and most importantly finish that rocky first draft.

· Time

Potential Stumbling Block –– Although I really want to write this story, there just isn't any time!

This is a very important area, and one that can be a great determining factor when we even begin writing our stories. As we all lead busy and hectic lives, sometimes twenty-four hours just isn't enough to do all we plan for the day. However, if we really crave to see those great ideas materialize and land on paper, we should be willing to sacrifice and invest our time in making that a reality.

Start up a writing schedule. It can be just a few minutes a day, the important thing is that you're getting something done. There's also Camp NaNoWriMo, which motivates us to write a specified amount of words each day, in the hopes of gaining a completed draft by the end of one month. But if you have very limited time, you can always make your idea into a short story. It's less time commitment and a very good place to begin when you've just started writing.

· Plot

Potential Stumbling Block –– I'm not too sure about my plot. I feel it's overused and cliché.

The truth of the matter is: Every main plot has been done over and over again. What differentiates one story of similar plot from another, is the ability of the writer to effectively use his or hers imagination to the fullest. Like clay in the hands of a potter, stretch your creativity to the max by devising new twist and turns, molding the story into your own and giving it your special magical touch!

Also when just starting out, it's very good to play around with several plots. That kind of diversity is necessary, not only to expand your horizon, but to ensure that you have a wild range of ideas, during the creative process. Surprise yourself and most importantly have fun!

· Quality

Potential Stumbling Block –– My story doesn't look like the masterpiece I thought it would be.

It's good to remember that it is the first draft. The very word suggests that there will be others to follow. And that would be the time to polish it to your heart's content. Right now though when you're writing your first draft, focus mainly on your characters, scenes and creating an imaginary world that your readers can lose themselves in, all the while maintaining your uniqueness as a writer. Details can be hatched out later.

Like I said earlier, all the great novels we read now were once first drafts. Several amounts of edits which included cutting and adding scenes were made, most of which painstakingly so, to give us the page-turning stories that have been completed to perfection. A good first draft is a solid foundation for other revisions to take place, and if you're able to achieve that, sooner or later your masterpiece will come.

· Insecurities

Potential Stumbling Block–– I still don't think my writing is good enough.

There is no writer at all that hasn't had these moments. Even if we're just starting out as a writer or have been at it for years. The key is to never allow such doubts to weigh us down, as they can be utilized to our benefit, helping us to grow and improve on our skills. If we find areas where we might be lacking, there is no harm in doing a little research. Google Search is one very effective tool. If you need help in an aspect such as Show vs Tell, for example, there are various articles online that give a detailed explanation about it.

Read, read, read! As writers, we should also be passionate and avid readers. Read books in the genre you're currently writing in. Read books outside that genre. Broaden your scope, but always remember not to be pressured into writing in a particular way. Writing should never be forced, it should come naturally and from within. Find your own creative and unique voice. And then hopefully writing that first draft won't be as hard as it seems.

 And then hopefully writing that first draft won't be as hard as it seems