Chapter 2.

I prop myself against the wall, my legs were in so much pain, my clothes were ripped, and blood covered my inner thigh. I couldn't stop the tears, I was crying so loudly in the silent house.

The front door crept open signaling another intruder, I had no energy to fight, so I just looked at the door until the silhouette came to view.

"Alexis?" A female voice called out, a familiar.

The woman stepped in some more, and I knew who it was. Ms. Stevens, my neighbor, her eyes darted across the small living space and landed on me, before I knew it she was at my side.

"Baby, what happened?" She asked in a frantic tone.

In my head I recited everything that just happened, but my mouth wouldn't move. She helped me to my feet, only to have my legs immediately start to shake. With a firm hand placed on my back and her sturdy shoulder, we were able to make it to her house. I sat on the floor as she rushed to the bathroom, and ran some water. She helped me out of my clothes, and step into the warm water.

"Oh my god." She shook her head, as she eyed the blood spreading into the fresh water.

She started to bathe me, seeing the fresh bruises on my skin. Afterwards she helped me put on an old T-Shirt of hers, and a spare pair of boxers her son no longer needed. She walked me to her bed, and helped me lie down.

"Thank you." I whispered, and before I knew it I was succumbed to blackness again.

-

The next morning I slowly got out of bed, swinging my legs to the floor only to have minor pain radiate through them. I walked down the hall, stopping right inside of the kitchen.

"You should be in bed, baby." She said.

"It's okay." I smile, taking a seat in a nearby chair. "The blood came from-"

"You don't have to explain, I know what happened." She says cutting me off. "I knew I should've taken you in when I had the chance. If I did you wouldn't have been in that situation."

"I feel so disgusted with myself, and it still hurts. She just sat there while it happened." My voice shakes as tears stream down my face. "My own mother, put drugs before me."

Ms. Stevens finishes with the stove, and comes to hug me. She rubs my back as I cry into her shoulder.

"Baby it's okay, I have some friends in the law business they're looking into it. I told them to not blow it up so no one would know what happened." She says. "But we're getting out of Houston, I have to get you safe. You're my priority now."

"Where are we going?" I ask.

"California. Los Angeles to be exact." She says handing me a small portion of food. "You may not want to, but take it slow and eat."

I start eating, but I didn't finish. I three the rest of the food in the trash, and went to lie down.

-

"Alexis, baby wake up. Today's the day our flight is at eleven. Come on get up." Ms. Stevens says.

I dragged myself out of bed, and slowly walked into the bathroom, running me a bath. After briefly cleaning my body I picked up the set of jeans, shirt, and undergarments sitting on the dresser and threw them on.

After helping Ms. Stevens with her luggage inside of her car, we both got in and started for the airport. The ride including my silence, and her babbling on about how pretty Los Angeles was. I didn't mind it much it seemed to make the ride shorter than it was, and before I knew it we were carrying luggage inside the airport.

Houston had always been home to me since I was tiny little girl, but now it seemed like a foreign country and I was the enemy. Did I want to leave? No, but I know if I stay I would only put myself back in a horrible position.

"I'm sure you'll grow to love California. I'll be with you every step of the way." Ms. Stevens said, and I felt the warmth of her hand over mine.

"Thank you Ms. Stevens."

"You don't have to keep calling me that, baby. Just call me Andrea." She smiled.

I returned her smile, and nodded my head. After going through the security checks we finally made it aboard the plane. I placed myself in the seat near the window and just gazed out of it.

"Enjoy the flight ladies and gentlemen." The speaker above us said and with that we were off.