|36| Departure, Interlude

|Third Person POV|

When Chidoku awoke, he felt a sense of pressure on his right hand. He lifted his head ever so slightly and glanced down. In front of him was a scene that he had dreamed about for years.

Zel was sitting on the ground against the bed, her white hair flowing messily around her face, which was a mask of serenity as she slept soundly. Her cloak had been spread over Chidoku, and when he saw what was causing the warmth in his right hand, he almost jumped for joy.

Before Zel fell asleep, she had been so distraught and worried that even when asleep, she had kept a tight grip on Chidoku's hand with her own smaller ones. Chidoku smiled gently, raising his other hand above Zel's head and petting her hair lightly.

How he wished that time would freeze right this moment, and that the two of them would just stay blissful. He continued to stroke Zel's hair, and felt her gain consciousness.

He prepared a dazzling smile for her to wake up to, but he was alright when Zel choose to not wake up but instead nuzzle her head towards him, so that he could pet her better. He was actually delighted, as Zel had a dreamy smile on her face. Chidoku had never seen Zel as happy and relaxed as she was now, and he was elated as well.

He was, until Zel started to purr someone else's name.

"Hisoka... I knew you'd come back..."

Chidoku's hand froze. He could not believe the words he was hearing. His dear Empress, the love of his life... she was dreaming of another man. And not just any other man, but that despicable magician who sent shivers down Chidoku's spine.

When Zel felt the reassuring hand stop stroking her, she woke up and the events of yesterday came rushing back to her. Her head shot up as she stared at Chidoku. Her face flushed with red — from embarrassment or guilt, Chidoku couldn't be sure of which.

"You're awake!" Zel said. She sounded too eager, too prepared. She smiled at Chidoku.

"I'm so glad. I was worried that you wouldn't wake up..." She sighed, looking downcast.

"About the other night... I'm really sorry. I shouldn't have lost control like that. Did I hurt you? I've tried to heal you, but I'm not sure I handled everything."

Chidoku's mind was whirring — should he confront her about what she just said? He winced, feeling a broken rib that Zel must have missed. The pain helped clear his head, and he decided that he would deal with that at a later time. He smiled at Zel and shook his head.

"I'm fine. The question is, are you okay?"

Zel smiled sadly, tracing a circle on her knees.

"Even now... you're worried about me. You're sweet, Chidoku. But -"

Chidoku grabbed her hand, stopping its movement and her sentence. He held it to his chest.

"Do you hear this, Empress? Ever since our fight so many years ago, my heart only beats for you. About what I said last night, you don't need to reply. I should have told you earlier, but... I was afraid, I'm sorry. My cowardice has caused you pain."

Zel had tried to take her hand away from Chidoku at first, but soon stopped resisting. She sighed, and leaned into his warmth.

"It isn't your fault. And I am sorry. I really can't give you a response right now... It's a mess in my head."

Chidoku nodded.

"Of course, I understand. Take all the time you need, Empress. I'll wait for your answer, I'll wait however long it takes."