|29| The Case of the Doppelgangers

|First Person POV|

There was someone pressed against me. Whoever they were, their body was warm, and so comforting... Hmm? Were they kissing me?

Heh, well they're a pretty good kisser. I'll let them continue. Ah, ouch, did they bite me?

The fuck?

My eyes flashed open, open to see Hisoka gnawing on my bottom lip.

What the fuck was he doing?

More importantly, I blinked, noticing my hands which were entangled in his fuchsia hair.

What the fuck was I doing?!

I pulled back slightly, my mental defenses crashing down my eyes, veiling my desire with a brick wall as I stared at Hisoka with an amused yet cold expression.

I was honestly disappointed in myself. I admit, Hisoka was seriously disarming with his face, and body, and scent... But! (Okay his butt was pretty much amazing too) He is, and he will always be...

"For a heartless monster, you seemed pretty into that."

I muttered quietly, a cocky smile on my face. For once, I held the upper hand, and there was no way I would let that go to waste.

Something resembling fear flashed across Hisoka's face, and he didn't even have time to manage his composure before I burst out laughing.

Against the searing pain of my chest - the small part of me that missed his lips - I laughed viciously. Did he somehow forget? That at the end of it all, only one of us would be able to leave Heaven's Arena?

I didn't forget.

I wouldn't forget.

My goal in life, my purpose for breathing...

Revenge.

Hisoka looked around, seemingly confused as hell, then he gave me a quizzical look before flashing out of my room. Just as well, if he had stayed a moment longer I don't think I could've endured it any longer.

I probably would've pulled him back and had my way with his delicious sex-god body.

I shook my head, cleansing my mind of those thoughts.

I closed the door which Hisoka had left open in his haste, then went to the washroom for an icy cold bath.

Refreshed, I opened my phone to see texts from Chidoku, letting me know that he had already learned of Mei's communication methods with Silva.

I smiled, and then texted Mei, telling her that I wanted to see her.

|::|

The rooftop of the Heaven's Arena was chilly at night, but the breeze stopped amicably when Ki(Mei) bounded up the stairs, her short hair floating cutely in the breeze.

"You wanted to see me, Zel-nee?"

"Ah, yes." I said, forcing a smile onto my face.

"There's something... I need to talk to you about."

"What is it, Zel-nee?" Her large eyes proclaimed innocence as she walked closer towards me.

I gave her a sheepish smile. "Well, you see. It's about your death... Mei."

Her face froze with an expression as if lighting had struck. Then, she erupted into laughter. Haunting, malicious laughter.

"I was wondering when you would find out." She reached across her face and flung off the Ki mask, dropping her innocent facade.

"Then, what will you do now, Empress?"

"Uhm, nothing." I said, leaning back against thin air.

"Huh?" Shock flickered across her face, as I fell into free-fall towards the ground.

"This is... a trap!?" Mei screeched, as an invisible nen net lifted up and started to constrict her.

She growled, and exerted her own nen to fight. But Chidoku's nen net simply absorbed her futile efforts and increased its own potency. Soon, Mei started to shriek in pain. The net was cutting into her skin and bones as it continued to shrink.

"I'll tell you! I'll tell you everything! Please, Zel-nee! Spare me!"

I sighed, floating up from the helicopter Chidoku was operating.

"The thing is, Mei. I already know everything. So, goodbye."

Mei laughed, a hollow and empty sound as she started to give into desperation.

"You wouldn't kill me, would you? I thought, I thought you cared for me like a sister!"

I shrugged. "I'm not the one killing you. Chidoku's net will shrink until it's the size of a walnut. If you're dead and I get upset, I'll go beat up Chidoku. If you're not dead, then it's a miracle and I'll let you go. Either way, my hands are clean."

"Your hands will never be clean!" Mei screeched at me, as the net started to cut into her face and breaking her bones.

"Your hands are already stained with the blood of hundreds, Empress! You're worse than that psychotic man you've pinned your hopes on!"

I scoffed.

"And why is that?"

"He thinks of no-one but himself, that's because his humanity was taken. What's your excuse, Zel? A broken heart? Can a broken heart really justify your sins?!"

I laughed, a scratchy noise against the mellow night silence.

"I'm the Empress. I don't need any excuses, and I certainly don't need to justify myself to scum like you. Behold beneath you, Heaven's Arena... Behold, the cries and screams of the fallen that I have scarified for my own gain. You too, will join them, Mei!"

I waved, and then Chidoku lowered the plane until we were only a few feet above the street. I hopped down, and was greeted by the real Ki.

"Zel-san... are you alright?"

I nodded, and patted her head. "Now, you remember what happened?"

"Ah, yes Zel-san. I went out looking for a snack, but I tripped and fell and lost my memories. You found me, and explained everything."

I nodded. "You must not let anyone notice that there was a switch. Understand? As long as you pretend to be Mei pretending to be you, your life will not be endangered."

"Yes, Zel-san."

I smiled, and opened the doors to Heaven's Arena.

"Then, let's go meet your friends, Ki."

|::|

A/N: I hate to say this, but the casualty count will only increase from here on out.

E-e-k

also, poor Hisoka lelelelelel