5 | The Gauntlet

THE GAUNTLET

"Her hair was long,

Her foot was light,

And her eyes were wild."

John Keats

"I'M NOT HUNGRY."

Jake gazed at me.

"You're not starting this again, are you?" he said. There was a warning note to his voice.

"Starting what?"

"The kitchen this morning. I thought you'd..."

"I don't know what you're talking about. I wasn't hungry. And while we're on the subject, thanks by the way, for that little display with Dad. That was great."

"You really thought you'd get away with that? Wasn't hungry at breakfast, wasn't hungry last night... You think I'm an idiot?"

"Yes, in fact, I do," I said, attempting to shove past him. He grabbed my arm.

"Well, hate to tell you this but you're wrong, plus I'm not going to let you think that this is how it's going to play out. I won't let you."

"It's my–" body, I was about to say but I stopped myself and closed my eyes, taking a deep breath. "I don't know what you're talking about, Jake. You're being paranoid and you know what–"

"Paranoid?" He scoffed.

I ignored him. "I don't want to get involved in any kind of drama. If they are planning some kind of, I don't know, bully-fest, it'll take the wind out of their sails if I don't show up."

"I told you not to worry about that. I'm gonna be right there and if they start anything, they'll have me to deal with."

"I don't want to give them the opportunity to start anything. Why does this have to be such a big deal anyway? I'll be in the library. It's fine."

"I don't think it's just that though, Marli. I think you're going to the library for a different reason and you know it."

I could feel the angry heat rising to my face. We were standing a few feet from the cafeteria doors and students were shoving past to get through to the room. I gripped the strap on my bag. "Why are you making this such a big deal? It's – not – what – you – think – it – is."

"Oh, it's exactly what I think it is! It's just like this morning and you know it. You're doing this on purpose."

"Gah, Jake! Why are you such an idiot? Would you just drop it? Please?"

"No," he said stubbornly. "I'm not going to drop it. You're coming into that cafeteria with me, or so help me, I will call Mom and I'll tell her exactly what you're trying to do."

"And what would that be exactly?"

"You know what," he said.

We stared each other down, pitting our mutual stubbornness against each other like drawn lances. Jake wasn't known for his adamancy like I was, but he had his own store of it to draw on when need demanded it. And he was unleashing the full effect of it on me now.

"I hate you," I said heatedly.

He smiled, undisturbed. "You'll thank me later," he said and ushered me towards the cafeteria doors.