Chapter 4

"You're a girl?"

I froze, and opened my eyes, looking down at the end of the alley, and there, with his mouth open, eyes wide, cheeks stained pink, was Spot.

I scoffed and rolled my eyes at him, giving him a dirty gesture as I picking up my striped undershirt and tugging it over my head. "Shut your mouth Conlon, you're catching flies."

He shut his mouth, his face a dark shade of red at finding me with no shirt on, and started asking questions as I pulled on my over shirt, buttoning it up.

"What? How are you a girl?"

I chuckled darkly, despite the fear that he might rat me out to everyone who didn't know. "Do I really need to explain the birds and the bees to you?"

I tugged on my vest as he asked. "How long have you been leader of Queens?"

"Three years."

"Did you fight in the turf war?"

I blinked in surprise. He just found out I was a girl and that was the question he asked me? "Yes. I did."

"Do the boys in Queens know?"

"None of your business." I barked as I shoved my hair into the hat.

"Does that mean I'm the only one who knows?"

I didn't respond and he laughed as I walked towards him, an angry glare on my face.

He wasn't expecting it, and that was what made it so easy to just walk up and deck him in the face. He fell to the ground and I crouched, grabbing his shirt, twisting my fist in it.

"You tell anyone about me," I hissed. "I will not hesitate to make your life miserable and beat you up until you beg for mercy."

His eyes widened in fear and he tried to squirm out from under me.

"Understand?" I asked.

"Yes, geez, get off of me." He snapped.

I obliged, stepping back and letting him get up. He glanced at my blood stained side, but said no more as we turned and headed back towards the gates.

He continued glancing at my side, before I turned and demanded. "What?"

He put his hands up. "I was going to ask if you were okay."

I scoffed. "I've had worse."

He growled. "You are impossible."

"I don't remember asking your opinion." I spat at him.

He flipped me off as we turned, heading into the gates. Ladders approached me with a worried look on his face as Spot walked away.

"Are you good?"

I nodded. "All good. Spot saw me." I whispered.

"Is he going to tell anyone?" Ladders asked.

"I don't think so. I threatened him, and he seemed pretty scared."

"You resorted to threatening?"

I scoffed. "I wasn't going to beg. He thinks he's the only one who knows, so let him think he has that power over me."

Ladders nodded and changed the subject. "Clothespin got a hard hit to the head, but besides you and him, no one got hurt."

I was about to respond, but stopped as a whistle went off. My head shot up. The cops. We had to get out of here. I whistled as loud as I could and the Queens boys all turned to me. I gestured for them to follow Ladders, who took off into jog, leading the boys through the gates as the cops began coming in.