Chapter 3

Piper had nothing else to do. Her father had a surprise conference, Leo was in the forge all day, and her car was at the shop getting an oil change. Instead of staying home all day, bored out of her mind, she decided to go outside.

She was dressed in simple, average clothing. A white tank top with a baggy, long sleeved shirt that was orange over it and a pair of faded, cut off blue jeans shorts. She was wearing a random pair of sandals that she had found in the back of her closet and a small brown purse to match. As for her hair, she wasn't in the mood to braid it, so it was being kept out of her face with two green headbands. As a way to hid her face, she had on an old, beat up baseball hat and a pair of sunglasses.

She sent a text to her dad before leaving the house, telling him she was going out for a few hours.

Piper walked out the back door of the house, hoping to avoid anyone who might cause commotion. Luckily, she did avoid people and made it to the bus stop a few blocks away from her house in no time. She sat on the bench, waiting for the bus to pull up. Five minutes later, her mode of public transportation pulled up, allowing her on.

She pulled out the money she needed for the ride, paid the bus driver, and went to take a seat. The bus wasn't crowded yet; there were only six or seven people scattered about. She chooses a seat near the back, looking out the window.

The bus slowly started to fill up. Piper glanced at the time on her phone; now noticing rush hour had started. She'd be getting off soon. In her theory, it was best to go out during rush hour when there was a crowd, meaning she'd be harder to spot.

She was two stops away from her destination when she heard the diver yelling at someone. Looking away from the window, she saw a tall boy with blond hair. He looked to be looking for an open seat. Fortunate for him, there was an open seat right next Piper.

"Hey, kid," she said, loud enough to catch the guy's attention.

The boy turned around, meeting eyes with her before walking down the aisle, nearly getting tripped by a heavily obese woman and her equally obese yapping dog. Who probably would have passed as an over stuffed bratwurst.The blond haired boy sat down beside her. She took good look at his face. He wore a pair of thin gold glasses. Behind the lenses of the glasses, she noticed that his eyes were a blue color. The same color of the sky on a cloudless day. On the corner of his lip was a small scar, tempting her to ask how he got it. She didn't, of course; this was, after all, a stranger.

"Thanks," the boy breathed out. He seemed to be a little jumpy, constantly looking around.

Piper caught on to this, knowing the feeling all too well, though she become suspicious. Could this boy be a thief? A murderer? She pushed the thought aside, not wanting to visit that dark side of her mind.

"Jason," he said, offering a hand out with a smile.

"Piper," she responded, taking his hand and giving it a small shake.

"So, if you don't mind me asking, where are you heading?"

Piper thought for a second. Does she tell him or not? Her plan was to stop by a Starbucks, then hit up a bookstore for some new reading material.

"A coffee shop to meet up with a friend. You?"

"Nowhere, really. I just needed to get out of the house."

The bus stopped again, picking up and letting more people off. Jason was staring intently at the door, Piper noticed. The doors of the bus were about to close when a tall, buff looking guy stepped onto the bus. The man had dark curly hair and bright red lips.

Jason started to look around in a panic. He caught sight of Piper's hat and glasses.

"Can I borrow those?"